This spicy black bean soup with chipotle is my favorite black bean soup. It is absolutely perfect for soup season. With its smooth texture and smoky spicy flavors of chipotle, I am sure this easy homemade soup will become a favorite of yours. Also, this soup is vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free!
Ingredients For Spicy Black Bean Soup
- Olive Oil: To saute the onions.
- Onion: Dice a small sweet, white, or yellow onion.
- Green Onions: Saute some green onions and add them on top once done.
- Jalapeño: Finely dice the jalapeño and remove the seeds.
- Carrots: Chop the carrots.
- Garlic: Adds flavor to the soup.
- Black Beans: These are essential for black bean soup.
- Vegetable Broth: Is used to add flavor and create a smooth soup.
- Salt, Pepper, Cumin, Coriander, and Oregano: To season and add flavor to the soup.
- Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce: Adds delicious flavor and a kick of heat.
- Lime: Freshly squeezed lime once done for flavor.
Use Canned Black Beans
We used canned black beans to make this soup effortlessly fast and easy.
Is Black Bean Soup Healthy?
Black beans are a superfood loaded with vitamins and minerals. Black bean soup is an excellent healthy option as it is packed with protein and fiber. Also, it is low in fat and naturally gluten-free.
How To Make Spicy Black Bean Soup
Dice the onion, slice the green onions, chop the carrots, chop the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, and finely dice the jalapeño. Then, rinse and drain the black beans.
Next, add the olive oil to a pot or dutch oven over medium heat. After that, add the onion, the white parts of the green onions, jalapeño, carrots, and garlic to the pot. Saute these ingredients in the pot.
Once sauteed, add the black beans to the pot. Then, add the vegetable broth, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, oregano, and chipotle peppers in adobo to the pot.
After that, remove the pot from the heat and use an immersion blender to thoroughly blend the soup. Next, let the soup simmer in the pot on low. Then, add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Toppings For Spicy Black Bean Soup
This black bean soup is delicious on its own or with toppings. We have listed our favorite toppings below.
- Fresh lime
- Green onions
- Fresh cilantro
- Cotija cheese
- Feta cheese
- Vegan cheese to keep this recipe vegan
- Finely diced jalapeño
How To Serve Spicy Black Bean Soup
To serve this black bean soup, let everything simmer so all of the flavors come together. Then, serve it in bowls, add your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
How Long Does Black Bean Soup Last?
This black bean soup is best enjoyed after making it. If you store it in an air-tight container, it will last 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
Spicy Vegan Black Bean Soup
This spicy black bean soup is vegan! This soup is packed with so much flavor. If you would like to add cheese on top, just use vegan cheese.
Tips For Spicy Black Bean Soup
Simmer Black Bean Soup
It is important to simmer the ingredients on low for at least 10-15 minutes before enjoying the soup so all of the flavors come together.
Blend The Beans Or Leave Some Whole
For this recipe, you can blend half of the beans and leave the rest whole if you would like your soup to have a chunky texture. Or, you can blend all of the beans for a smooth texture.
How Much Black Bean Soup To Make
This recipe makes two large servings. If you would like to make more soup, you can double or triple this recipe.
If You Don’t Want Your Soup Spicy
This black bean soup is balanced and not too spicy, but if you would like to reduce some of the heat, you can omit the jalapeño.
More Soup Recipes To Try Next!
- Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup
- Creamy Potato Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Roasted Carrot Ginger Soup
- Roasted Tomato Soup With Basil
- Join us on our YouTube channel for recipe videos!
If you try this recipe please be sure to leave us a comment and star rating ★★★★★ letting us know how it turns out for you.
2 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories357
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 0.7g 0%
- Cholesterol 3mg 1%
- Sodium 1089mg 46%
- Potassium mg 0%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 17.5g 68%
- Sugars 3.7g
- Protein 22.3g 44%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.