This slow cooker salsa verde chicken has it all! It is incredibly easy to make and is packed with so much flavor. Also, you can put this recipe together in virtually no time! Just place all of the ingredients in the slow cooker and let it cook. You will have the most delicious and juicy salsa verde chicken when it’s done. Plus, this recipe is great for meal prep and you can make a variety of different dishes with it. We love making bowls, burritos, tacos, and salads with the slow cooker chicken.
Why You Will Love Salsa Verde Chicken
- There is barely any prep time because everything goes in the slow cooker.
- The slow cooker does all of the work.
- This recipe can be used in many different ways.
- The chicken is incredibly flavorful.
- It is perfect for meal prep.
Ingredients For Salsa Verde Chicken
- Chicken: This recipe used two pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- Garlic Powder and Cumin: Are used to season the chicken.
- Tomatillo Salsa: Use a 12-ounce jar of your favorite tomatillo salsa in this recipe.
- Garlic: Add the garlic to the slow cooker.
- Green Chiles: This recipe uses a can of mild diced green chiles.
- Diced Jalapeño: Adds a little heat to the recipe.
- Cilantro: Top the salsa verde chicken with fresh chopped cilantro.
- Green Onions: Slice the green onions and sprinkle them over the chicken once it is cooked.
- Lime: Squeeze some fresh lime juice over the chicken before serving.
- Cheese: Cotija, feta, and extra sharp cheddar cheese all taste great with the salsa verde chicken.
How To Make Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken
First, rinse the chicken breasts in cold water and pat them dry. Then, add the chicken breasts to the slow cooker and season both sides of the chicken with garlic powder and cumin. We love this slow cooker because it is all-natural and does not contain any chemicals.
After that, pour the tomatillo salsa into the slow cooker. Next, add the garlic, mild diced green chiles, and diced jalapeño.
Then, place the lid on the slow cooker and cook everything on low. Once the chicken is cooked, take it out of the slow cooker and shred it. Once shredded, place it back in the slow cooker and mix thoroughly.
When you are ready to serve, top your salsa verde chicken with chopped cilantro, sliced green onions, and some fresh lime juice. Also, we love sprinkling some cotija, feta, or extra sharp cheddar cheese on top.
How To Serve Salsa Verde Chicken
There are many great options as to what you can do with this incredibly flavorful salsa verde chicken. We have made a list of some of our favorite ways to enjoy it.
- Make a chicken bowl and top it with cilantro, green onions, and cotija cheese.
- Add the chicken to a bowl with cauliflower rice or brown rice.
- Make tacos or a burrito with shredded salsa verde chicken.
- You can add the chicken to a taco salad with lettuce, corn, and beans.
This Slow Cooker Chicken Is Perfect For Meal Prep
This slow cooker salsa verde chicken recipe is great for meal prep! You can easily prepare this recipe and let the slow cooker do the rest. When it is done, you can enjoy it for lunch or dinner and save any leftovers for later in the week. There are so many options as to what you can make with this chicken and it stores well in the refrigerator and freezer.
How Long Does Salsa Verde Chicken Last?
This salsa verde chicken will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator if stored in an airtight container. Also, you can reheat it in a saucepan on the stove before enjoying it again.
Can You Freeze The Chicken?
Yes, you can freeze this slow cooker chicken. Just make sure the chicken has cooled and place it in a freezer-safe airtight container. It will last 1-2 months in the freezer.
More Slow Cooker Recipes To Try Next!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup Recipe
- Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan
- Homemade Slow Cooker Apple Butter
- Join us on our YouTube channel for recipe videos!
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories269
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Cholesterol 130mg 44%
- Sodium 342mg 15%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
- Sugars 0.7g
- Protein 43.2g 87%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
I made this for dinner tonight. Quick and easy to put it together. Served it over rice with cole slaw on the side. Delicious. Definitely a keeper.
We love this one too! I am so happy you enjoyed it, thank you so much for letting us know! 🙂