Up-level your morning oatmeal by making these banana breakfast cookies! They are a cross between cookies and oatmeal with the delicious flavors of banana bread. This is the perfect recipe to make if you have ripe bananas lying around.
Also, they are easy to mix together in one bowl! With this recipe, you can easily meal prep breakfast for the week. Store these cookies in the refrigerator, warm some up in the oven each morning, and enjoy!
What Are Breakfast Cookies?
Breakfast cookies are flourless cookies made with oats that are meant to be enjoyed at breakfast. It’s like eating oatmeal in cookie form! They are not as sweet as regular cookies and are much healthier than traditional cookies, making them great for breakfast. These breakfast cookies have the flavors of banana bread from mashed ripe bananas, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Why You Will Love Banana Breakfast Cookies
- These breakfast cookies are packed with the flavors of banana bread.
- You can have breakfast oatmeal in delicious cookie form!
- The mashed bananas, maple syrup, and cinnamon add flavor.
- These breakfast cookies are gluten-free.
Can Cookies Be Breakfast?
With this recipe, cookies absolutely can be breakfast! These breakfast cookies are made with oats and are high in fiber. These cookies are a delicious way to start your day!
Are Breakfast Cookies Healthy?
Yes, breakfast cookies are a healthy option. These banana breakfast cookies have minimal sugar and are sweetened naturally from the bananas and a hint of maple syrup. These cookies have way less sugar than regular classic chocolate chip cookies, making them the perfect treat for breakfast.
Ingredients For Banana Breakfast Cookies
- Bananas: Ripe bananas sweeten the cookies and give them banana flavor.
- Oats: Use quick oats to make these breakfast oatmeal cookies.
- Baking Powder: Helps the breakfast cookies come together.
- Cinnamon: When combined with the mashed bananas, it makes these breakfast cookies taste like banana bread.
- Nutmeg: A pinch of nutmeg for flavor.
- Salt: Just a pinch of salt to enhance the flavors.
- Vanilla: Just a splash for flavor.
- Maple Syrup: Sweetens the cookies and adds flavor.
- Egg: One egg helps the cookies come together.
- Mini Chocolate Chips: Adds chocolate flavor.
What Oats To Use?
Use quick oats when making these breakfast cookies. Quick oats are great because they are smaller than rolled oats. They are a perfect consistency and size for breakfast cookies.
How To Sweeten Breakfast Cookies
We used maple syrup to sweeten these breakfast cookies because it adds great flavor! We recommend using it in this recipe because it adds another dimension of flavor to the cookies. If you don’t use maple syrup, you can use your sweetener of choice in this recipe such as sugar-free maple syrup, honey, or your favorite 1:1 sugar-free substitute.
How To Make Banana Breakfast Cookies
First, add the ripe bananas to a large bowl and mash them with a fork.
Then, add the quick oats, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, vanilla extract, maple syrup, egg, and optional mini chocolate chips to the bowl with the mashed bananas.
After that, thoroughly mix all of the ingredients.
Next, use a cookie scoop to form the cookies. Form them on a sheet pan with parchment paper.
Then, bake the cookies in the oven and enjoy!
Breakfast Cookie Variations
These breakfast cookies are delicious as is and have the flavors of banana bread. We like to add a few chopped walnut pieces or a few mini chocolate chips on top of each cookie before baking them for an extra treat and burst of flavor!
Tips For Making Banana Breakfast Cookies
Use Ripe Bananas
Make sure to use ripe bananas in this recipe as they are sweeter and add more flavor to these breakfast cookies.
Shape The Cookies
It is important to slightly flatten the cookies and shape them on the baking sheet before placing them in the oven. The cookies will not spread so the shape will be the same as it was before they were baked.
Reheat Breakfast Cookies
We strongly recommend that you reheat any leftover breakfast cookies that you stored in the refrigerator before enjoying them again. You can taste all of the delicious flavors when the cookies are warm. Just reheat the breakfast cookies in the oven for 1 minute or until they are warmed through.
How To Store Banana Breakfast Cookies
These banana breakfast cookies will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator if stored in an air-tight container. We like to store them in reusable stasher bags. Or, you can freeze them for 1-2 months.
More Recipes To Try Next!
- Banana Bread Baked Oats
- Healthy Banana Pancakes With Oats
- Banana Apple Muffins
- Oatmeal Chocolate Cookies
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you try this recipe please be sure to leave us a comment and star rating ★★★★★ letting us know how it turns out for you. We hope you enjoy these banana breakfast cookies!
18 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories52
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 0.2g 1%
- Cholesterol 9mg 3%
- Sodium 20mg 1%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1.2g 5%
- Sugars 3.1g
- Protein 1.5g 3%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.