If you are anything like me, you always want something sweet for dessert. I have to tell you, this chocolate mug cake is the solution! It is extremely easy to make and only takes 90 seconds to cook in the microwave. If you need a quick chocolate fix, this is the recipe for you! It’s a single-serving mug cake which means you can whip it up whenever a chocolate craving hits.
Also, this mug cake recipe uses simple ingredients that you most likely have on hand. There are no eggs in this recipe, no oven is needed, and I have lightened it up. Just combine the ingredients, cook the cake in the microwave, and enjoy! It is perfectly light, fluffy, and airy.
What Is Mug Cake?
Mug cake is a single serving cake that is made in a mug or small ramekin. It is an easy dessert that is perfect when you don’t want to make an entire cake. The ingredients can be easily combined and the batter can be poured into a mug. Also, mug cakes are often cooked in the microwave. We have made a delicious and quick chocolate mug cake!
Why You Will Love Chocolate Mug Cake
- This mug cake is packed with chocolate flavor!
- It is easy to make and cooks quickly in the microwave.
- There are no eggs in this recipe and no oven is needed.
- You can make this single-serving mug cake whenever a chocolate craving hits!
Ingredients For Chocolate Mug Cake
- Flour: Is in the batter.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: Gives the mug cake chocolate flavor.
- Sweetener of Choice: Use monk fruit or sugar in this recipe.
- Baking Powder: It helps the mug cake rise.
- Salt: Just a pinch in this recipe.
- Applesauce: It is used in place of oil to lighten up this mug cake.
- Unsweetened almond milk: Or use your milk of choice.
- Vanilla Extract: It is added to the batter.
- Chocolate Chips: We recommend using mini chocolate chips for an evenly dispersed chocolate flavor.
How To Make Chocolate Mug Cake
This chocolate mug cake is easy to make! First, add the flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, sugar or monk fruit, baking powder, and a pinch of salt to a bowl.
Thoroughly combine these ingredients.
Then, add the applesauce, unsweetened almond milk, and vanilla extract to the bowl. Thoroughly mix all of the ingredients together. After that, lightly fold the chocolate chips into the batter.
Next, lightly spray a microwave-safe ramekin or mug with oil. Then, pour the mug cake batter into the ramekin or mug.
After that, microwave the chocolate mug cake and enjoy!
How Long To Microwave Chocolate Mug Cake
This chocolate mug cake is cooked in the microwave. This mug cake should be placed in the microwave for about 90 seconds on high, depending on your microwave. This chocolate mug cake is done when a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake and isn’t gooey inside.
Mug Cake Toppings
This chocolate mug cake is delicious on its own. However, for an extra treat, we love to add light vanilla ice cream or light whipped cream on top. Our favorite whipped cream is Cocowhip because it is dairy-free, lightened up, and has a slight coconut flavor.
Is Mug Cake Healthy?
This chocolate mug cake recipe is lightened up. We have used unsweetened cocoa powder and unsweetened applesauce in this recipe. Also, we used unsweetened vanilla almond milk in place of regular milk.
More Recipes To Try Next!
- Best Chocolate Sheet Cake
- Easy and Healthy Carrot Cake
- Healthy Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Oatmeal Chocolate Cookies
- Healthy Chocolate Banana Bread
- Join us on our YouTube channel for recipe videos!
Helpful Tools and Ingredients For Chocolate Mug Cake
Please note that some of the links on this post are affiliate links and we will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. Thank you for supporting us!
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories162
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 1.8g 9%
- Cholesterol 1mg 1%
- Sodium 196mg 9%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 4.8g 20%
- Sugars 6.3g
- Protein 4.8g 10%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Hi thank you for all the great recipes just found your site ,I was wondering could I use 1 percent or 2 percent milk not a fan of the almound milk etc.tks again peggy
Would the pts be the same
Hi Peggy, you can absolutely use 1 or 2 percent milk in this recipe. The reason we used almond milk is because it is low in points. You can’t taste it in this recipe. However, if you want to use regular milk I would recommend using 1 percent milk or non-fat milk as the points will be lower than 2 percent. I believe it adds 1 point to the recipe but I would recommend changing it in the app for the milk that you used so the points are correct for you. I hope this helps and you enjoy the mug cake!