Don’t let the name fool you, these healthy chocolate zucchini muffins are decadent with rich deep flavors of chocolate. We added just the right amount of mini chocolate chips to get a burst of warm chocolate in every bite. The combination of the chocolate mixed with the zucchini makes these muffins super moist and fluffy.
Why You Will Love Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- They are packed with decadent chocolate flavor.
- Zucchini is the perfect addition to these muffins and makes them moist.
- These muffins have a double chocolate flavor.
- Mini chocolate chips add an extra burst of chocolate flavor.
What Do Chocolate Zucchini Muffins Taste Like?
Chocolate zucchini muffins are delicious and packed with chocolate flavor! The zucchini is grated and dispersed throughout the muffins. These are double chocolate zucchini muffins because the chocolate chips add extra chocolate flavor. These muffins are perfectly balanced and the zucchini flavor is very mild. They taste like delicious double chocolate muffins!
Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
These are double chocolate zucchini muffins. We used Dutch-processed cocoa powder to give these muffins a chocolate flavor. Then, we added mini chocolate chips for a double chocolate flavor. You can even save some of the mini chocolate chips to add to the top of the muffins before baking them or add additional ones.
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins Ingredients
- Eggs: Helps the muffins come together.
- Applesauce: Unsweetened applesauce is used in this recipe.
- Milk: Use your milk of choice or unsweetened almond milk.
- Vanilla: Just a splash of vanilla extract.
- Flour: These muffins are made with all-purpose flour.
- Cocoa Powder: Use Dutch-processed cocoa powder.
- Salt: Just a bit of salt.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda: Help the muffins rise in the oven.
- Sweetener: Use sugar or your 1:1 sugar-free sweetener of choice such as monk fruit or stevia.
- Zucchini: Grate the zucchini.
- Mini Chocolate Chips: For extra delicious chocolate flavor.
Why Use Mini Chocolate Chips?
We like to use mini chocolate chips because they evenly disperse chocolate flavor throughout the muffins. You don’t have to use as many of them since they are smaller and you get a delicious burst of chocolate flavor in every muffin.
Are Chocolate Zucchini Muffins Healthy?
These chocolate zucchini muffins are a healthy lightened-up option. We used unsweetened almond milk and unsweetened applesauce in this recipe and there is no oil.
How To Make Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
First, grate the zucchini and remove all of the excess moisture.
Then, add the eggs, unsweetened applesauce, almond milk, and vanilla extract to a large bowl. Mix these ingredients.
After that, sift all of these dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients.
Then, add the sugar to the bowl and mix. From there, fold in the grated zucchini and mini chocolate chips.
After that, lightly spray a non-stick silicone muffin pan with oil. Then, pour the batter into the muffin pan and bake the muffins.
Once done, let them cool and enjoy!
Tips For Making Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Grate The Zucchini
For this recipe, there is no need to peel the zucchini. Cut off the ends of the zucchini and grate it with a regular-sized grater. Then, place the grated zucchini on a paper towel or thin towel and remove the excess moisture. It is essential to remove the moisture before adding the zucchini to the muffin batter.
Don’t Overmix The Muffin Batter
It is important not to overmix the muffin batter. This will ensure the muffins turn out light and fluffy. Make sure to combine the wet and dry ingredients. Then, fold in the grated zucchini and mini chocolate chips.
Meal Prep Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
These muffins are great for meal prep! You can make them for the week and store them in an airtight container on the counter or in the refrigerator. Also, these muffins freeze well if you want to save some to enjoy later.
How Long Do Chocolate Zucchini Muffins Last?
These muffins will last 1-2 days in an airtight container on the counter at room temperature. Or, they will last 3-4 days if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Can I Freeze Muffins?
Yes, you can freeze these chocolate zucchini muffins. They will last 2-3 months in the freezer. Store them in a freezer-safe container. We like to use stasher bags because they are reusable.
More Muffins To Try Next!
- Banana Carrot Muffins
- Healthy Chocolate Banana Bread
- Banana Apple Muffins
- Join us on our YouTube channel for recipe videos!
12 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories90
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 0.8g 0%
- Cholesterol 28mg 10%
- Sodium 120mg 5%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1.4g 4%
- Sugars 2.3g
- Protein 3.2g 6%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.