These healthy banana muffins are perfection! They are bursting with luscious banana flavor. There is no oil or butter in these muffins! We added applesauce for a super tender muffin without all of the fat. These muffins are a delicious breakfast or snack. Also, they are perfect for meal prep or freezing. I am sure these classic banana muffins will be the ones you make all the time.
Why You Will Love Healthy Banana Muffins
- You can meal prep these muffins.
- These banana muffins are healthy.
- They have a wonderful banana flavor.
- These muffins are easy to make.
- The muffins are light and fluffy.
Ingredients For Healthy Banana Muffins
- Bananas: You will need four, medium-sized ripe bananas for this recipe.
- Eggs: Use two eggs in this recipe.
- Applesauce: Use unsweetened applesauce. It helps make the muffins moist without adding fat.
- Vanilla Extract: Add a little bit of vanilla extract.
- Sweetener: You can use sugar or a 1:1 sugar substitute.
- Flour: These muffins are made with all-purpose flour.
- Baking Soda: Helps the banana muffins rise in the oven.
- Salt: Add a pinch of salt.
- Cinnamon: Complements the flavor of the bananas in these muffins.
- Nutmeg: A pinch of nutmeg for flavor.
Texture And Taste
These healthy banana muffins are soft, light, and fluffy. They taste like banana bread in muffin form and have a warm banana flavor throughout. You taste the sweet banana flavor in each bite.
How To Make Healthy Banana Muffins
First, add the bananas to a large bowl and mash them with a fork.
Next, add the eggs, unsweetened applesauce, and vanilla extract to the bowl with the mashed bananas. Then, whisk these ingredients.
After that, add the sugar to the bowl with the wet ingredients and mix.
Then, in a separate large bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Next, combine the wet and dry ingredients, but don’t overmix.
After that, lightly spray a non-stick silicone muffin pan with oil or use muffin liners.
Then, pour the batter into the muffin liners and bake the muffins. Once done, let the muffins cool and enjoy!
Tips For Making Healthy Banana Muffins
Use Spotty Ripe Bananas
Spotty ripe bananas are best for baking and add sweetness to these muffins.
You Can Use Frozen Bananas
It is best to use fresh ripe bananas to make these muffins. However, if you don’t have any ripe bananas on hand, you can use frozen bananas! When I have extra ripe bananas that I can’t get to right away I will peel them and freeze them in portioned-out stasher bags. Then, the bananas are ready to be used for my next banana muffin batch. Just let the bananas thaw and defrost in a bowl until they reach room temperature. Then, you can mash them and add the rest of the ingredients to make these banana muffins.
Make sure not to overmix the batter when making banana muffins. Lightly mix until the wet and dry ingredients are combined. Overmixing often leads to dry, dense muffins.
Banana Muffin Variations
- Use A Different Flour: We used all-purpose flour to make these banana muffins. However, you could also use whole wheat pastry flour or a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend.
- Use Muffin Liners: You can lightly spray a non-stick silicone muffin pan with oil or use muffin liners and add them to the muffin pan. If you use muffin liners, we recommend these parchment muffin liners because they prevent the muffins from sticking to them.
- Mix-In Ingredients: These banana muffins are delicious as is. If you would like to add some mix-ins, 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts, raisins, or chopped pecans would be a delicious addition to the muffins.
- Add Chocolate Chips: You can add chocolate chips to these banana muffins. If you do this we recommend adding mini chocolate chips to evenly distribute chocolate flavor throughout. Also, you can use sugar-free chocolate chips or lightly chop some regular-sized chocolate chips into smaller pieces.
How To Store Banana Muffins
Enjoy these banana muffins after making them and easily store any leftovers for later. Here are some ways you can store these muffins:
- Freeze Them: You can freeze these muffins for later! Place them in stasher bags and freeze for 1-2 months.
- Refrigerate Them: Place these muffins in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Leave Them On The Counter: You can store these muffins on the counter at room temperature for 1-2 days. Just make sure they are in a sealed airtight container.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Banana Muffins Healthy?
Yes, these banana muffins are healthy and lightened up. Unsweetened applesauce is used instead of any butter or oil. It helps make the muffins moist. Also, these muffins are made with simple ingredients such as ripe bananas, flour, and spices.
How Long Do Banana Muffins Last?
These healthy homemade banana muffins will last 1-2 days in an airtight container on the counter at room temperature. Or, you can refrigerate them for 3-4 days.
Can You Freeze Banana Muffins?
Yes, you can freeze these banana muffins! Place them in stasher bags or your favorite freezer-safe containers. They are best enjoyed within 1-2 months of freezing.
Can Banana Muffins Be Made Ahead Of Time?
Banana muffins can be made ahead of time and are great for meal prep. Simply store the muffins on the counter, refrigerate them, or freeze them until you are ready to enjoy.
More Recipes To Try Next!
- Healthy Banana Bread
- Banana Bread Overnight Oats
- Banana Bread Baked Oats
- Strawberry Banana Muffins
- Blueberry Muffins With Yogurt
If you try this recipe please be sure to leave us a comment and star rating ★★★★★ letting us know how it turns out for you. We hope you enjoy these healthy banana muffins!
14 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories99
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 0.3g 0%
- Cholesterol 23mg 8%
- Sodium 143mg 6%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1.4g 4%
- Sugars 4.7g
- Protein 2.8g 4%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.