This is the ultimate vegetarian enchilada bowl with cottage cheese! This high-protein bowl has cottage cheese mixed with enchilada sauce as the base for a delicious vegetarian recipe! Also, this bowl is packed with beans, onion, cheese, and a poached or hard-boiled egg.
This enchilada bowl can be put together in 5 minutes and is the perfect quick meal to make when you want something incredibly delicious and flavorful without having to spend a lot of time cooking. I love how fast this bowl comes together!
Vegetarian Enchilada Bowl Ingredients
- Cottage Cheese: Mix the cottage cheese with the enchilada sauce for the base of the bowl.
- Enchilada Sauce: Is mixed with cottage cheese to add flavor.
- Beans: Rinse and drain the black beans.
- Onion: Dice red onion for this recipe.
- Green Onions: Slice the green onions.
- Cilantro: Finely chop fresh cilantro.
- Cheese: We used shredded light cheddar cheese.
- Egg: You can poach, hard-boil, or scramble the egg.
- Salt: A pinch of salt over the egg.
What Enchilada Sauce To Use?
Use your favorite red enchilada sauce in this recipe. We used the O Organics Enchilada Red Sauce.
Cottage Cheese For Enchilada Bowl
We used fat-free cottage cheese in this recipe. Low-fat cottage cheese and 2% cottage cheese are other great options.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Add Cottage Cheese?
This enchilada bowl is made with cottage cheese. Cottage cheese is high in protein and low in sugar. One cup of cottage cheese has 25 grams of protein! Also, I love cheese enchiladas but don’t have them often because they are so high in fat. I put together this vegetarian enchilada bowl to have those flavors you crave without all the fat. I added cottage cheese to the base of the bowl to make it creamy and added lots of beans and an egg to add protein to keep you full!
Can You Taste The Cottage Cheese?
The flavor of the cottage cheese is overpowered by the delicious flavor of the enchilada sauce, so don’t worry if you don’t like cottage cheese.
How To Make A Vegetarian Enchilada Bowl
First, rinse and drain the beans. Then, dice the red onion, slice the green onions, and chop the cilantro.
After that, mix the cottage cheese and enchilada sauce.
Next, add the black beans, red onion, green onions, fresh cilantro, and light cheddar cheese, to the bowl with the cottage cheese mixture.
Then, add a hard-boiled, scrambled, or poached egg to the bowl. Add any extra toppings and enjoy!
Toppings For Enchilada Bowls
This enchilada bowl is delicious on its own with black beans, red onions, green onions, cilantro, cheese, and an egg. However, it is delicious with additional toppings as well. Some other great toppings include avocado, extra enchilada sauce on top, and tortilla chips.
Enchilada Bowl Meal Prep
You can meal prep the ingredients for this enchilada bowl recipe so it is easy to mix together. Store the ingredients in air-tight containers in the fridge so they are ready to go. You can store any leftover ingredients from this recipe and easily make it again in a few minutes.
More Recipes To Try Next!
- Savory Cottage Cheese Burrito Bowl
- Viral Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- Tomatillo Chicken Cottage Cheese Bowl
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Bowl
- Join us on our YouTube channel for recipe videos!
If you try this recipe please be sure to leave us a comment and star rating ★★★★★ letting us know how it turns out for you. We hope you enjoy!
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories385
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 2.9g 10%
- Cholesterol 171mg 57%
- Sodium 1567mg 66%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 6.8g 24%
- Sugars 12.1g
- Protein 41g 82%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.