Viral cottage cheese ice cream is a delicious high-protein dessert. You only need 4 simple ingredients to make this strawberry cheesecake cottage cheese ice cream. You can easily make this recipe in 5 minutes and there is no ice cream machine required. Just blend the ingredients, freeze, and enjoy! The texture is super creamy and smooth.
I am sure you have seen this trend all over the Internet recently. Most people are using full-fat cottage cheese, 1/4 cup of honey, loads of peanut butter, and chocolate. In the end, this is not any healthier than real ice cream. We did not want to miss out on trying this because we thought the idea could be good. However, we wanted to lighten it up so it made sense to make it. We tried a few different variations and we ended up loving this delicious strawberry cheesecake flavor!
What Is Cottage Cheese Ice Cream?
Cottage cheese ice cream has gone viral on social media. It consists of cottage cheese and fruit, which are blended together. Then, the mixture is frozen and enjoyed like ice cream. We have put our own spin on it by making a strawberry cheesecake cottage cheese ice cream. We even added a splash of lemon juice for more cheesecake flavor!
Cottage Cheese Ice Cream Ingredients
- Cottage Cheese: Cottage cheese is essential for making cottage cheese ice cream.
- Strawberries: Use frozen strawberries to make strawberry cottage cheese ice cream.
- Sweetener: Use your sweetener of choice.
- Lemon: Lemon juice makes it taste even more like cheesecake!
What Cottage Cheese To Use?
We used low-fat 2% cottage cheese to lighten up this cottage cheese ice cream. You could also use full-fat whole cottage cheese or fat-free cottage cheese. It is best to use high-quality cottage cheese.
What Sweetener To Use?
You can use your sweetener of choice in this recipe. Some options are sugar, honey, maple syrup, or a 1:1 sugar-free sweetener of your choice.
Cottage Cheese Ice Cream Variations
We made strawberry cheesecake cottage cheese ice cream. You can also make other flavors of cottage cheese ice cream! An easy way to do this would be to use your favorite frozen fruit such as blueberries, raspberries, or mixed berries instead of the strawberries in this recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Cottage Cheese Ice Cream Taste Good?
Yes, this cottage cheese ice cream tastes really good! It is super creamy and tastes like strawberry cheesecake.
What If I Don’t Like Cottage Cheese?
Even if you aren’t a fan of cottage cheese, don’t let it deter you from making this recipe. The flavors of strawberry cheesecake come through in this cottage cheese ice cream and the cottage cheese is blended, which removes the texture of it that some people don’t enjoy. It is smooth and creamy and has a delicious strawberry cheesecake flavor.
Does It Taste Like Ice Cream?
Cottage cheese ice cream has a similar taste and flavor to strawberry ice cream. The texture is similar as it is creamy and smooth. While it doesn’t taste exactly like ice cream, it is a delicious and easy high-protein dessert.
Is Cottage Cheese Ice Cream Healthy?
This version of cottage cheese ice cream is healthy. Cottage cheese is high in protein and we used low-fat cottage cheese in this recipe. Frozen strawberries add flavor and you can use your sweetener of choice.
Can I Use Fat-Free Cottage Cheese?
Yes, you can use fat-free cottage cheese in this recipe. We tried it and it turned out great! When you freeze it and stir it every hour it is slightly icier than the 2% low-fat cottage cheese. Also, it is slightly saltier but is a great fat-free option. If you use the Ninja Creami it will be less icy.
How To Make Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
First, add the cottage cheese, frozen strawberries, sweetener, and lemon juice to a blender.
Then, blend everything until smooth.
After that, pour the mixture into a freezer-safe container.
Freeze the cottage cheese ice cream for 4-5 hours. Make sure to stir it every hour while it freezes.
Once frozen, scoop the cottage cheese ice cream and enjoy!
How To Freeze Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- In The Freezer: You can freeze it in the freezer for 4-5 hours, stirring every hour to prevent it from getting icy.
- Use The Ninja Creami: Pour the mixture into a Ninja Creami ice cream container, freeze it for 24 hours, then let the Creami do all the work. Mix once on light ice cream (it will look powdery when finished, don’t worry). Then, open and add 1 tablespoon of your milk of choice and re-mix again on light ice cream in the Creami to make sure it is blended and super creamy. It takes a few blendings but it will come out super creamy! We made this in the Ninja Creami because we are obsessed with this machine. It will pretty much turn anything into creamy smooth ice cream. But don’t worry if you don’t have one, you can still make this recipe, just follow the first directions above.
Tips For Making Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
Add Lemon Juice
Adding lemon juice makes this cottage cheese ice cream taste even more like cheesecake!
This cottage cheese ice cream is delicious and tastes like strawberry cheesecake! It is delicious on its own or with additional toppings. We like adding some chopped fresh strawberries and crushed graham crackers on top.
Use Frozen Fruit
We recommend using frozen fruit because it is easier and more cost-effective. Our recipe calls for 3/4 cup of strawberries, so it is much easier and just as flavorful if you use frozen strawberries. However, this recipe will also work with fresh fruit if you prefer.
Blend Until Smooth
Make sure to thoroughly blend all of the ingredients until smooth. You don’t want any clumps of cottage cheese.
How Long Will It Last?
We recommend enjoying this cottage cheese ice cream once it is frozen, about 4-5 hours. If you store leftovers too long they will get icy. If you plan on using the Ninja Creami, you can leave the ice cream in the freezer for up to a week before using the machine to turn it into ice cream.
More Recipes To Try Next!
- Savory Cottage Cheese Burrito Bowl
- Easy Strawberry Crepes Recipe
- Homemade Sugar-Free Fruit Popsicles
- Healthy Dole Whip Pineapple Sorbet
- Join us on our YouTube channel for recipe videos!
If you try this recipe please be sure to leave us a comment and star rating ★★★★★ letting us know how it turns out for you. We hope you enjoy!
2 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories109
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 1.5g 5%
- Cholesterol 15mg 5%
- Sodium 450mg 19%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1.1g 4%
- Sugars 8.4g
- Protein 13g 26%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.