What’s not to love about a burger mixed with a taco? These viral smash burger tacos with special sauce are worth the hype! Smash burger tacos have gone viral on TikTok and are all over social media.
We have lightened them up and put our spin on them by using ground turkey. They have the delicious flavors of a Big Mac burger, in taco form! Enjoy them with our own healthier version of McDonald’s Big Mac Special Sauce, this sauce is crave-worthy on its own! Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy this easy and delicious meal anytime.
Why You Will Love Smash Burger Tacos
- They are easy to make.
- It combines the delicious flavors of burgers in a taco.
- We made a special sauce to go with them.
- These smash burger tacos have the flavors of a Big Mac burger!
- We have lightened up smash tacos and made them healthier.
What Are Smash Burger Tacos?
Smash burger tacos are a viral TikTok food trend where meat is smashed onto a tortilla and then smashed on a skillet to cook. Then, the taco is topped with toppings you would usually find on a burger, such as cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, secret sauce, onion, and pickles. Smash burger tacos are also called big mac smash tacos, big mac tacos, and smashed tacos. Smash burger tacos have the same flavors as the McDonald’s Big Mac burger, but use flour tortillas instead of a burger bun. If you love burgers and tacos, you will love these smash burger tacos!
For Smash Burger Tacos
- Tortillas: We used flour tortillas to emulate a burger bun.
- Ground Turkey: Use lean ground turkey or 1% fat ground turkey breast.
- Seasonings: Salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder are used to season the meat.
- Onion: Dice half of a white onion or sweet onion.
- Lettuce: Thinly slice iceberg lettuce.
- Tomato: Finely dice a tomato.
- Pickles: Use pickle slices.
- Cheese: Use a slice of fat-free or light American cheese for each smash burger taco.
For The Special Sauce
- Mayonnaise: We used light mayonnaise to make the special sauce.
- Relish: Use sweet pickle relish.
- Ketchup: Adds flavor to the sauce.
- Seasonings: Salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder season the sauce.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Brightens the flavor of the sauce and adds complexity.
How To Make Smash Burger Tacos
First, make the special sauce so that it is ready. Add the light mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish, ketchup, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and apple cider vinegar to a bowl.
Then, thoroughly mix the sauce.
After that, dice the onion, thinly slice the iceberg lettuce, and finely dice the tomato.
Next, season the ground turkey with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Then, roll the ground turkey into balls.
After that, heat a pan and lightly spray it with oil. Then, place a ground turkey ball on the pan. Next, place a tortilla over the ground turkey ball and use a spatula, meat press, or heat-resistant bowl to press down the meat. The meat needs to be a thin layer so it cooks. Once smashed down, let it cook for 3 minutes.
Then, use a spatula to flip it over and add the slice of light American cheese. After that, place the lid over the pan so the cheese melts quickly. Let it cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until done. Make sure the meat is fully cooked. Then, repeat this process to make the rest of the smash burger tacos.
After that, top with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles, and the homemade special sauce. Serve warm and enjoy!
Smash Burger Taco Variations
- Meat: We used 1% fat ground turkey breast in this recipe. Some other meat options are lean ground turkey, lean ground chicken, and lean ground beef. Any of these will make delicious smash burger tacos!
- Tortillas: These smash burger tacos are made with flour tortillas to emulate the flavor of a burger bun. Low-carb flour tortillas will work, as well. Also, you can use gluten-free tortillas.
- Sauce: We made a lightened-up Big Mac special sauce for these smash burger tacos. If you want to lighten the sauce up even more, you can substitute half of the light mayonnaise for 0-fat Greek yogurt. Or, if you don’t want to make the sauce, you can use store-bought special sauce or try our buffalo ranch sauce for another flavor variation!
- Cheese: You can use fat-free or light American cheese squares in this recipe to get the flavors of a big mac burger. However, feel free to substitute the American cheese for your favorite cheese. Sharp white cheddar cheese squares would be delicious, as well.
- Big Mac Smash Tacos: For the classic big mac burger flavors in these smash tacos, top the tacos with light American cheese, shredded iceberg lettuce, onions, pickles, and special sauce.
- Change The Flavor: If you want to make smash burger tacos but don’t want them to have the flavors of a big mac burger you can omit the iceberg lettuce, pickles, and special sauce. Instead, you can add some pico de gallo, avocado, green onions, cilantro, or your favorite toppings of choice.
Toppings For Smash Burger Tacos
These smash burger tacos are delicious and super easy to customize with your favorite toppings. Here are some great topping ideas for big mac smash tacos!
- Diced onion
- Thinly sliced iceberg lettuce
- Special sauce
Serving And Storing
To Serve: Once the smash burger tacos are fully cooked, add your favorite toppings and the special sauce. Then, serve them warm, and enjoy!
To Store: We don’t recommend storing these smash burger tacos. They are best enjoyed warm after making them. However, you can store leftover ingredients in airtight containers in the refrigerator so you can easily make this recipe again.
Tips For Making Smash Burger Tacos
- Thinly Slice The Lettuce: Use a knife to thinly slice the lettuce. This ensures you don’t have big pieces of lettuce in each bite.
- Melt The Cheese: Once the ground turkey meat is cooked on one side, flip it over with the tortilla and add the cheese. This allows the cheese to cook while the taco cooks on the other side. Also, put the lid on the pan to quickly melt the cheese.
- Make The Special Sauce: A big mac burger would not be complete without the secret special sauce, and neither would these smash burger big mac tacos! We have made our very own lightened-up special sauce that tastes like the one from McDonald’s! It is best to make the sauce first so that you can easily add it to the smash burger tacos once they are cooked and enjoy them warm.
- Use A Thin Layer Of Meat: It is very important to use a thin layer of meat so the meat fully cooks through. Also, you want to have a thin burger so it cooks quickly.
- Heat The Skillet: It is best to preheat the skillet or pan you will be using to cook the smash burger tacos. The meat is cooked at a high heat so it fully cooks. Also, this helps the tortillas get crispy.
- Have Everything Ready: It is important to have everything prepped and ready to go. The ground turkey cooks quickly and you want your toppings to be ready. Then, you can enjoy these smash tacos while they are warm.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Smash Burger Tacos Healthy?
These smash burger tacos are healthy and lightened up! We used ground turkey breast instead of ground beef in this recipe. Also, our special sauce is much healthier than the one from McDonald’s.
How To Know When The Meat Is Cooked?
Make sure the meat is fully cooked before eating your smash burger tacos. To ensure the meat will fully cook, smash it into a thin layer. Also, let it cook for 3 minutes once smashed onto the tortilla and then for another 2-3 minutes on the other side while the cheese melts.
What Tortillas Can I Use?
Flour tortillas give these smash burger tacos the flavors of a big mac burger and replicate the burger bun. Low-carb flour tortillas are a great option here, as well. Also, make sure to use small, taco-size tortillas. Corn tortillas will work, but won’t give you the same flavor as the flour tortillas. Also, corn tortillas may fall apart.
Can I Make Smash Burger Tacos Ahead Of Time?
These smash burger tacos are best enjoyed right after making them while they are warm. We do not recommend making them ahead of time. However, you can prepare some of the ingredients ahead of time. You can make the secret sauce and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Also, dice the onion and thinly slice the iceberg lettuce so they are ready to go.
What To Cook Smash Burger Tacos On?
Use a pan, griddle, or skillet to cook these smash burger tacos. Also, just make sure the heat is high enough to fully cook the meat.
Are Smash Burger Tacos Gluten-Free?
To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free tortillas instead of flour tortillas.
How To Season Smash Tacos?
We seasoned these smash tacos with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. For a kick of heat, add some chili powder or diced jalapeños.
Do I Have To Add Oil To The Pan?
A light spray of olive oil on the pan will work perfectly and is all you need. It helps cook the meat and makes the tortillas crispy.
More Recipes To Try Next!
- Viral Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- Frozen Cottage Cheese Bark
- Mediterranean Turkey Burger Recipe
- Healthy Bacon Cheeseburger
- Join us on our YouTube channel for recipe videos!
8 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories207
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 2.4g 10%
- Cholesterol 45mg 15%
- Sodium 737mg 31%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 2.3g 8%
- Sugars 3g
- Protein 20.7g 40%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.