This cheesy smashed potatoes recipe is a delicious twist on the beloved classic. Tender potatoes are boiled to perfection and then infused with garlic and spices. Next, they are gently smashed on a sheet pan and generously topped with parmesan cheese on both slides. These cheesy smashed potatoes are baked to perfection until crispy and golden brown. Whether for a family dinner, a holiday feast, or a weeknight indulgence, they are a fantastic snack or the perfect side dish for any meal.
Why You Will Love Cheesy Smashed Potatoes
- These smashed potatoes are cheesy and flavorful.
- They have cheese on both sides for the ultimate crispiness and flavor.
- The potatoes are seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, and basil.
- These smashed potatoes are easy to make and become crispy in the oven.
- Easily smash the potatoes with the bottom of a cup.
What Are Smashed Potatoes?
Smashed potatoes are baby potatoes that are boiled, seasoned, and then smashed on a sheet pan with the bottom of a cup. From there, they are baked in the oven to become crispy. We have put our spin on them by making cheesy smashed potatoes.
Ingredients For Cheesy Smashed Potatoes
- Baby Potatoes: Use baby red or gold potatoes.
- Olive Oil: Add olive oil so the seasonings stick and the potatoes become crispy when baked.
- Salt and Pepper: Season the smashed potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Garlic: Crush the cloves of garlic.
- Oregano: Use dried oregano to add flavor.
- Basil: Dried basil adds another dimension of flavor.
- Cheese: Use parmesan cheese or a parmesan cheese blend.
What Potatoes To Use
Baby potatoes are the perfect size for this recipe. We used baby red potatoes. You can use baby gold potatoes instead or a combination of both. Any baby potatoes will work for this recipe.
The Best Cheese To Use
We used parmesan cheese in this cheesy smashed potatoes recipe. Use pre-grated parmesan cheese or a parmesan cheese blend. Or, freshly grate some parmesan cheese. As another option, you can use shredded cheddar cheese.
How To Make Cheesy Smashed Potatoes
Step 1: Fill a large saucepan with water and bring it to a boil on the stove. Also, salt the water. Once the water is boiling, add the baby potatoes to the saucepan. Boil the baby potatoes for 18-22 minutes or until cooked through.
Step 2: Once done, drain the potatoes and let them slightly cool. Then, add them to a large bowl.
Step 3: Add the olive oil to the bowl with the potatoes and mix. After that, add the salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, and basil. Next, thoroughly mix to coat the potatoes.
Step 4: Place the seasoned potatoes on a sheet pan with parchment paper. Then, gently smash the potatoes with the bottom of a cup.
Step 5: Distribute the parmesan cheese over top of the smashed potatoes. Then, flip the potatoes over and add the remaining parmesan cheese to the other side.
Step 6: Bake the smashed potatoes at 400°F for 10-12 minutes. Once done, let them cool for a few minutes and enjoy!
How To Serve Cheesy Smashed Potatoes
Once done, let the smashed potatoes cool for a few minutes. Then, use a spatula to remove them from the sheet pan. Transfer them to a plate for serving. We like to serve them crispy cheese side up and top them with chopped chives. Serve with ketchup, ranch, or your favorite dipping sauce. We enjoyed them with our buffalo ranch sauce.
- Small Potatoes: Use baby potatoes in this recipe as they are easy to smash and become crispy in the oven.
- Room On The Sheet Pan: Leave room between each potato on the sheet pan so you can smash them without the pan being overcrowded. The potatoes need enough room between them to cook and crisp in the oven.
- Use A Cup: To easily smash the potatoes, use the bottom of a cup.
- Check The Boiling Potatoes: Carefully insert a fork through a potato to test if they are cooked through when boiling.
- Add Cheese To Both Sides: Add parmesan cheese to both sides of the smashed potatoes for the ultimate crispy texture and incredible flavor.
How To Store And Reheat Smashed Potatoes
To Store: Store any leftover smashed potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Or, let them cool and store them in a freezer-safe container in the freezer for 1-2 months. We use these reusable freezer-safe storage bags.
To Reheat: To reheat these cheesy smashed potatoes, warm them up in the oven. Or, quickly warm and crisp them up in the air fryer.
Frequently Asked Questions
How To Make Smashed Potatoes Crispy?
To make crispy smashed potatoes, use baby potatoes and spread them out on the sheet pan so you have enough room to smash them and so they can crisp up. Also, add parmesan cheese to both sides for a crispy cheesy texture.
Can Smashed Potatoes Be Frozen?
Yes, you can freeze smashed potatoes. Let them cool completely and store them in a freezer-safe container. You can freeze them for 1-2 months.
How To Smash Smashed Potatoes?
Use the bottom of a cup to smash the potatoes on the sheet pan gently. Don’t overly smash the potatoes or they will fall apart.
More Recipes To Try Next!
- Air Fryer Red Potatoes
- Homemade Mashed Potatoes
- Creamy Potato Soup
- Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- Honey Soy Ginger Sauce
- Peanut Dipping Sauce
- Turkey Stuffing Meatballs
If you try this recipe please be sure to leave us a comment and star rating ★★★★★ letting us know how it turns out for you. We hope you enjoy this cheesy smashed potatoes recipe!
6 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories104
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 1.8g 5%
- Cholesterol 8mg 3%
- Sodium 207mg 9%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1.1g 4%
- Sugars 0.5g
- Protein 5.4g 10%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.