This strawberry chia jam is made with a few simple ingredients. All you need is fresh or frozen strawberries, chia seeds, a small amount of your sweetener of choice, a splash of lemon juice, and a pinch of salt. It can’t get much easier to make delicious strawberry jam at home! We love to make a batch of this for the week and enjoy it on toast, pancakes, yogurt, and cottage cheese bowls. It even makes the best peanut butter and jelly sandwich!
Why You Will Love Chia Seed Jam
- There is no pectin or gelatin, only simple healthy ingredients.
- Simmering the strawberries enhances the flavor and sweetness.
- A splash of lemon juice adds another dimension of flavor.
- Chia seeds have many benefits.
- This chia seed jam is easy to make and has many uses.
What Is Strawberry Chia Jam?
Strawberry chia jam is a delicious homemade jam made with strawberries and chia seeds. The chia seeds thicken the strawberry jam so there is no need for other thickeners such as pectin. Also, strawberry chia jam tastes like strawberry jam, just with the addition of chia seeds.
Strawberry Chia Jam Ingredients
- Strawberries: You can make chia jam with fresh or frozen strawberries.
- Chia Seeds: Chia seeds thicken the jam.
- Sweetener: Use your sweetener of choice in this recipe.
- Lemon Juice: A splash of lemon juice adds another dimension of flavor.
- Salt: Just a pinch to enhance the flavors.
How To Make Strawberry Chia Jam
First, add the strawberries, your sweetener of choice, and a pinch of salt to a saucepan.
Then, let the strawberries simmer on low and stir occasionally. After that, crush the strawberries with a spoon or a potato masher.
Once the strawberry jam is done simmering, remove the saucepan from the heat. Next, add the lemon juice and chia seeds. Mix the jam and let it cool in the saucepan. The chia seeds will thicken up the jam.
After that, transfer the jam to a heat-resistant sealed airtight jar and place it in the refrigerator to continue thickening. Store the jam in the refrigerator and enjoy!
Why Add Chia Seeds To Jam?
- Chia seeds thicken the jam.
- Chia seeds are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids and fiber.
- They contain minerals and nutrients.
What To Do With Chia Jam
We love to add this strawberry chia jam to ice cream, toast, pancakes, waffles, yogurt, cottage cheese bowls, cottage cheese toast, and oatmeal bowls. Also, it makes a delicious peanut butter and jelly sandwich!
Strawberry Chia Jam Variations
Use Fresh Or Frozen Strawberries
You can make this strawberry chia jam with fresh or frozen strawberries. Just make sure to let the strawberries simmer for a while for the best flavor. You may need to simmer the frozen strawberries longer than you would with fresh strawberries.
Substitute For Chia Seeds In Jams
If you don’t like chia seeds or don’t have them on hand, you can replace them with 2 ¼ teaspoons of cornstarch. The cornstarch will thicken the strawberry jam instead of the chia seeds.
Make Sugar-Free Chia Jam
If you don’t want to add any sugar or sweeter, you can definitely omit the sweetener in this recipe. Just take a spoonful of jam aside while it is cooking, let it cool before tasting, and see if you need to add sweetener. Fresh strawberries are usually sweeter than frozen but either can work.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Does Chia Jam Last In The Fridge?
Is Strawberry Chia Jam Healthy?
Yes, strawberry chia jam is healthy! You only need a small amount of sugar or your sweetener of choice in this recipe and you could even omit the sweetener altogether if your strawberries are sweet enough. This jam is much healthier than many sugary store-bought jams. Also, there are many benefits of chia seeds.
Can I Use This Recipe For Canning Jam?
No, this is a recipe that is made to be eaten fresh within the week and is not recommended for canning. Do not use this recipe to can with.
How To Enhance The Flavors Of Chia Jam
Letting the strawberries simmer in a saucepan intensifies the flavor of this jam. Also, we added a splash of freshly squeezed lemon juice and a pinch of salt to further enhance the flavors of this jam.
More Recipes To Try Next!
- Individual Strawberry Tiramisu Recipe
- Easy Strawberry Crepes Recipe
- Peanut Butter Energy Balls
- Viral Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- Homemade Sugar-Free Fruit Popsicles
6 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories41
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 0.2g 0%
- Cholesterol 0mg 0%
- Sodium 2mg 1%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 2.8g 8%
- Sugars 2.8g
- Protein 1.2g 2%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.