Dive into the deliciousness of our French onion dip with Greek yogurt! This dip strikes the perfect harmony between the sweetness of caramelized onions and the creamy tang of Greek yogurt. Every bite is an incredible blend of these flavors! Enjoy this dip with your favorite chips, vegetables, or crackers.
Why You Will Love French Onion Dip
- The caramelized onions shine in this dip and add incredible flavor.
- Greek yogurt is the base, making this recipe lightened up.
- There is no mayonnaise or sour cream in this dip.
- The balsamic glaze adds another layer of flavor to this dip.
- This dip is easy to make! It just takes some time for the onions to caramelize.
What Is French Onion Dip?
French onion dip, also called caramelized onion dip, is a flavorful dip consisting of caramelized onions. The base of this lightened-up dip is 0-fat Greek yogurt. Also, we added seasonings, balsamic glaze, and chives for added flavor.
Ingredients Needed For French Onion Dip
- Onions: Use two medium-sized onions. You can use white, brown, or sweet onions. Caramelize the onions for this recipe.
- Butter: Use a small amount of light butter to caramelize the onions.
- Seasonings: Season the onions with oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Balsamic Glaze: Adds another layer of flavor and dimension to the onions and dip.
- Greek Yogurt: Make this dip with 0-fat Greek yogurt.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Add Worcestershire sauce for flavor.
- Chives: Chop some fresh chives and add them to the dip.
What Onions To Use
This dip is made with caramelized onions! Use two onions, slice them, and caramelize them in some butter and seasonings. We used sweet onions because we love their mild yet sweet flavor. You could also use white or brown onions instead. Allow the onions enough time to caramelize for the best flavor in your dip.
How To Make French Onion Dip With Greek Yogurt
Step 1: Cut each onion in half. Then, cut each half and slice the onion into 1/4-inch pieces.
Step 2: Add the butter, sliced onions, oregano, garlic powder, pepper, and half of the salt to the pan. Let the ingredients sauté in the pan over low heat. Allow the onions to caramelize for 30-45 minutes and mix occasionally.
Step 3: Add the balsamic glaze to the pan with the caramelized onions. Then, mix and continue to caramelize for another 1-2 minutes.
Step 4: Remove the pan from the heat and let the caramelized onions cool.
Step 5: Add the 0-fat Greek yogurt, Worcestershire sauce, remaining salt, chopped chives, and cooled caramelized onions to a bowl. Then, thoroughly mix. Next, transfer the dip to an airtight container and let it refrigerate before serving.
What To Serve With French Onion Dip
When you are ready to serve this dip, top with chopped chives. Here are some ideas on what to serve with this dip:
- Vegetables: Enjoy this dip with carrot chips, baby carrots, cucumber, sliced bell peppers, small tomatoes, or your favorite fresh chopped vegetables.
- Crackers: Serve this dip with your favorite crackers.
- Chips: Enjoy with some pita chips, tortilla chips, potato chips, or your favorite chips.
- Slice The Onions Evenly: Do your best to evenly slice the onions. It helps them caramelize at the same time.
- How To Slice The Onion: When cutting the onions, don’t dice them or slice them into long pieces. You don’t want long stringy onion pieces in your dip. Also, don’t cut the onion too small. Cut each onion into medium-sized pieces so you get enough of the caramelized onions in each bite.
- Let The Onions Caramelize: Be patient and let the onions caramelize. It is well worth it to let them caramelize for at least 30 minutes. The caramelized onions have incredible flavor.
- Add The Balsamic Glaze: Don’t skip the balsamic glaze in this recipe. It takes the caramelized onions to the next level and adds flavor. The flavor of the balsamic glaze is not to be missed in this dip.
How To Store French Onion Dip
Store any leftover French onion Greek yogurt dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It is best enjoyed within 3-4 days.
- What Greek Yogurt To Use: We used 0-fat plain Greek yogurt to lighten up this recipe. You could substitute plain 2% Greek yogurt or full-fat Greek yogurt.
- How Much Greek Yogurt To Use: Use one cup to 1 ½ cups of Greek yogurt. It depends on how much dip you want and how many caramelized onions you want in each bite. Use less Greek yogurt to taste the caramelized onions even more.
- Add Some Mayonnaise: To cut some of the tart flavors from the Greek yogurt, you can always add one to two tablespoons of light mayonnaise.
- Balsamic Glaze Substitution: If you don’t have the balsamic glaze, use two teaspoons of balsamic vinegar instead.
- Thinner Dip: For a thinner dip, add one teaspoon of milk or more until you reach the desired consistency.
- Add Bacon: Add some finely chopped cooked bacon to this dip for a smoky and savory flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is French Onion Dip Gluten-Free?
Our homemade French onion dip is gluten-free. Just make sure to use gluten-free Worcestershire sauce.
How Long Is French Onion Dip Good For In The Fridge?
This homemade dip is good for 3-4 days when stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
What Does French Onion Dip Taste Like?
You taste the flavor of caramelized onions in this dip. Think of the flavors of French onion soup with Greek yogurt instead of beef broth. This dip is creamy and full of rich flavors.
Is French Onion Dip Healthy?
This homemade French onion dip is a healthier option that is lightened up! We used 0-fat Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise or sour cream. The seasonings, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic glaze, and caramelized onions add flavor!
More Recipes To Try Next!
- French Onion Chicken Skillet
- French Onion Soup Recipe
- Gluten-Free Onion Rings
- Buffalo Chicken Dip With Greek Yogurt
- Bacon and Chive Dip
- White Bean Hummus
If you try this recipe please be sure to leave us a comment and star rating ★★★★★ letting us know how it turns out for you. We hope you enjoy this French onion dip with Greek yogurt!
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories65
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 0.3g 0%
- Cholesterol 4mg 2%
- Sodium 337mg 15%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1.3g 4%
- Sugars 5.7g
- Protein 6.5g 12%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.