Creamy garlic chicken is the ultimate comfort food! This mouthwatering dish has juicy chicken breasts smothered in a lusciously rich and flavorful creamy garlic sauce. We used cottage cheese to create this velvety cream sauce and I promise you you will not be disappointed! Also, we added parmesan cheese to the sauce to add richness and a slightly tangy and salty dimension. This dish is topped with finely chopped fresh parsley. You definitely don’t want to miss this one!
Why You Will Love Creamy Garlic Chicken
- This creamy garlic chicken recipe has delicious flavors.
- The chicken is smothered in a creamy garlic sauce.
- You only need a light spray of olive oil and a small amount of butter.
- This delicious meal is made in one pan.
- The sauce is super creamy while being lightened up!
- This recipe comes together in about 30 minutes.
What Is Creamy Garlic Chicken?
Creamy garlic chicken is a comfort food classic with juicy chicken breasts smothered in a decadent creamy garlic sauce with parmesan cheese. We have lightened up this classic dish while keeping all the mouthwatering flavors.
For The Chicken
- Chicken: Slice two boneless skinless chicken breasts lengthwise.
- Flour: Dredge the chicken in the all-purpose flour mixture.
- Salt and Pepper: Add the salt and pepper to the flour mixture.
- Olive Oil: Lightly spray a nonstick pan with olive oil to sear the chicken.
For The Creamy Garlic Sauce
- Milk: You will need milk for the sauce.
- Cottage Cheese: This sauce is made with fat-free cottage cheese. It makes the sauce super creamy.
- Salt and Pepper: Season the sauce with salt and black pepper.
- Parmesan Cheese: Grated parmesan cheese adds delicious flavor to the creamy cheesy sauce.
- Butter: Saute the ingredients in a little bit of light butter.
- Onion: Dice the onion and saute it in the pan with the butter.
- Garlic: Garlic is essential for this creamy garlic chicken! Crush three cloves of fresh garlic.
- Parsley: Chop the fresh parsley. Add some to the sauce and sprinkle the rest on top once done.
- Cornstarch: Cornstarch is optional but helps further thicken the sauce.
Substitutions And Variations
- What Milk To Use: You can use 1%, 2%, or fat-free milk in this recipe.
- Cottage Cheese To Use: We used fat-free cottage cheese to lighten this recipe up. Low-fat and full-fat cottage cheese will also work. Make sure not to use salty cottage cheese.
- Parmesan Cheese: Pre-grated parmesan cheese or freshly grated parmesan cheese will work in this recipe.
- What Onion To Use: You can use diced white or sweet onion in this recipe.
- Add Cornstarch: Adding cornstarch is optional. For an even thicker sauce, make a cornstarch slurry with equal parts water and cornstarch. Then, add it to the sauce while it is simmering to thicken it.
How To Make Creamy Garlic Chicken
First, slice the boneless skinless chicken breasts in half lengthwise.
Next, mix the flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl.
Then, dredge both sides of the chicken in the flour mixture.
After that, lightly spray a pan with olive oil over medium heat and add the chicken to the pan. Sear the chicken on both sides. Once seared, remove the chicken from the pan and let it rest.
Next, add the milk, cottage cheese, grated parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper to a blender and blend.
Then, add the light butter to the pan along with the diced onion. Saute the onion in the butter. After that, add the crushed garlic and one teaspoon of fresh chopped parsley to the pan and saute.
Next, add the blended mixture to the pan and mix. Optional: To thicken the sauce further add a cornstarch slurry.
Then, add the chicken back to the pan with the sauce. Let the sauce and chicken simmer on medium-low heat until the chicken is fully cooked and reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Once the chicken is fully cooked and the sauce is finished simmering, add the remaining tablespoon of freshly chopped parsley on top and enjoy this dish warm!
Tips For Making Creamy Garlic Chicken
Blend The Sauce
Thoroughly blend the cottage cheese, milk, and parmesan cheese sauce mixture until smooth in a blender before adding it to the pan. You don’t want any lumps or curds of cottage cheese in your sauce.
Don’t Burn The Garlic
Make sure not to burn the garlic when you saute it in the pan. First, saute the onions in the butter, and then add the garlic. It helps prevent it from burning.
Sear The Chicken
Add the chicken to the pan and sear it on both sides until it is golden brown. When you add the chicken back to the sauce to simmer, it will finish cooking the chicken. Just make sure to check that your chicken is fully cooked before enjoying it.
What To Eat With Creamy Garlic Chicken
- Enjoy On Its Own: Enjoy this creamy garlic chicken on its own with freshly chopped parsley and freshly grated parmesan cheese on top.
- With Sides: Enjoy this dish with some sides such as our crispy air fryer green beans, cauliflower potato salad, or air fryer red potatoes.
- Serve With Bread: We love toasting some bread in the oven. This creamy garlic chicken is absolutely incredible with crusty bread for dipping.
- Add Pasta: You can cook your favorite pasta and add it to the pan with the creamy garlic chicken. Use your pasta of choice.
- Pasta Alternatives: You could add your pasta alternative of choice. Some options are Carba Nada, Palmini, and zucchini noodles.
Storing And Reheating
How To Store: Store any leftover creamy garlic chicken in an airtight container. Place the airtight container in the refrigerator and store leftovers for up to 3 days. We don’t recommend freezing this.
How To Reheat: When ready to enjoy this dish again, re-heat it. You can heat up the chicken in the oven in an oven-safe container or in the microwave in a microwave-safe container. Or, you can reheat the chicken in a pan over the stove.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Chicken To Use?
Use two large boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. Also, slice the chicken breasts in half lengthwise so you have four pieces of chicken. This helps the chicken cook evenly and faster.
What Is Creamy Garlic Sauce Made Of?
Typically, creamy garlic sauce is made with heavy cream, butter, and garlic. We have lightened it up with cottage cheese, light butter, milk, crushed garlic, and parmesan cheese. You get the same luscious, decadent flavors without as much fat.
Is Creamy Garlic Chicken Healthy?
This creamy garlic chicken recipe is healthy and lightened up! For this recipe, you only need a light spray of olive oil and a tablespoon of light butter. Also, the sauce is made with milk and cottage cheese instead of heavy cream! It is incredibly creamy and the flavor of the parmesan cheese comes through in the sauce. It tastes like a full-fat cream sauce!
How Long Does Creamy Garlic Chicken Last?
This creamy garlic chicken is best enjoyed warm after making it. If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Then, reheat and enjoy!
Is Creamy Garlic Chicken Gluten-Free?
To make this creamy garlic chicken recipe gluten-free, dredge the chicken in gluten-free flour instead of all-purpose flour. The creamy garlic sauce is naturally gluten-free.
More Recipes To Try Next!
- Cottage Cheese Alfredo
- One Skillet Cream Of Mushroom Chicken
- Cottage Cheese Overnight Oats
- Healthy Chicken Piccata Recipe
- French Onion Chicken Skillet
If you try this recipe please be sure to leave us a comment and star rating ★★★★★ letting us know how it turns out for you. We hope you enjoy this creamy garlic chicken recipe!
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories309
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 2.6g 10%
- Cholesterol 102mg 34%
- Sodium 852mg 36%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 0.7g 0%
- Sugars 5.8g
- Protein 48.2g 96%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.