This healthy coffee cake is a mouthwatering treat that perfectly complements your morning cup of coffee. This healthier coffee cake maintains all the scrumptious flavors of traditional coffee cake while being a healthier option, making it perfect for breakfast or dessert.
The cake batter is made with Greek yogurt, which adds moisture and boosts the protein content of the cake.
The streusel, made with a combination of brown sugar or sugar-free sweetener, cinnamon, and light butter, adds a delectable crunch and a hint of sweetness with each bite.
Whether enjoyed as a delightful morning indulgence or a comforting afternoon treat, this coffee cake is a true crowd-pleaser. Its classic flavors and irresistible aroma make it the perfect healthier coffee cake you will want to make again and again.
Why You Will Love This Coffee Cake
- It has the flavors of traditional coffee cake while being lightened up.
- Greek yogurt makes this coffee cake moist.
- The streusel crumb topping adds delicious flavor.
- You can make this coffee cake with simple pantry staples.
Is Coffee Cake Healthy?
This coffee cake is healthier than most coffee cakes. We used simple ingredients such as flour, eggs, sweetener, 0-fat Greek yogurt, and milk. There is only a small amount of light butter that is used for the streusel crumble topping. Also, there is no butter or oil required to make the cake.
Coffee Cake Ingredients
- Flour: All-purpose flour is used for the cake.
- Cinnamon: To add cinnamon flavor to the coffee cake.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda: Helps the coffee cake rise in the oven.
- Salt: To enhance the flavor.
- Vanilla: Vanilla extract adds flavor.
- Eggs: Helps the coffee cake come together.
- Sugar: To sweeten the coffee cake.
- Greek Yogurt: Makes this coffee cake moist and adds protein.
- Milk: Use your milk of choice in this recipe.
Streusel Crumb Topping Ingredients
- Flour: Some flour is mixed with brown sugar.
- Brown Sugar: Is mixed with some flour and butter for the crumble topping.
- Cinnamon: To give the crumble topping cinnamon flavor.
- Salt: Just a pinch of salt.
- Light Butter: To create the streusel crumb topping.
How To Make Healthy Coffee Cake
First, add the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to a large bowl. Then, mix these dry ingredients.
After that, in a separate bowl, whisk together the 0-fat Greek yogurt, milk, and vanilla extract until the yogurt is smooth and there are no lumps.
Then, whisk in the eggs and sugar or sugar-free sweetener.
Next, combine the wet and dry ingredients, making sure not to over-mix.
Then, make the streusel crumb topping. Mix the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. After that, incorporate the light butter and use your hands or a fork to break up the butter.
Do this until the crumb topping has a crumbly consistency.
After that, lightly spray a nonstick loaf pan with oil or you can use parchment paper. Then, pour half of the batter into the loaf pan. Next, sprinkle a thin layer of the crumb mixture over the top of the batter.
Then, pour the rest of the batter on top.
After that, top the cake with the remaining streusel crumb topping.
Next, bake the coffee cake, let it cool, carefully remove it from the pan, slice it, and enjoy!
Tips For Making Coffee Cake
- Make sure not to over-mix the batter, you don’t want your coffee cake to be dense.
- Use a toothpick to make sure your coffee cake is cooked through. You don’t want it to over-bake it but you don’t want it undercooked. If it overcooks it may become dry.
- Once cooled, carefully remove this coffee cake from the loaf pan and slice it into 8 even pieces.
Storage And Reheating
To Store: This coffee cake will last 1-2 days if stored in an airtight container at room temperature on the counter. Or, it can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
To Freeze: You can freeze this coffee cake! It will last 1-2 months in the freezer if stored in an airtight freezer-safe container. We like to use stasher bags.
To Reheat: We love reheating leftover coffee cake before enjoying it again to lightly warm it up.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Is It Called Coffee Cake?
Coffee cake gets its name because it is meant to be enjoyed with a cup of coffee. A slice of our lightened-up coffee cake would be delicious with coffee for breakfast.
Why Make Coffee Cake With Greek Yogurt?
This coffee cake is made with 0-fat Greek yogurt. The Greek yogurt makes this coffee cake moist. Also, Greek yogurt adds protein!
Is There Coffee In Coffee Cake?
Coffee cake is most often made without coffee! This coffee cake recipe does not have any coffee in it.
Does Coffee Cake Taste Like Coffee?
Despite its name, coffee cake does not taste like coffee or have any coffee in it. Instead, it tastes like a delicious cake with cinnamon flavor and a streusel crumb topping. We have lightened up the classic coffee cake while keeping all of the delicious flavors.
Can I Make Coffee Cake Muffins With This Recipe?
You can make a traditional coffee cake with this recipe like we did or you can make coffee cake muffins! Just lightly spray a nonstick muffin pan with oil or use cupcake liners. Then add the streusel crumble topping on top of the muffins. Keep in mind that the muffins won’t need to cook as long in the oven since they are smaller than the coffee cake. Coffee cake muffins will need anywhere from 24-28 minutes to cook. You will know they are done when a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
More Recipes To Make Next!
- Easy Cinnamon Roll Baked Oats
- Best Chocolate Sheet Cake
- Healthy Blueberry Muffins With Yogurt
- Healthy Pumpkin Spice Muffins
- Banana Breakfast Cookies
If you try this recipe please be sure to leave us a comment and star rating ★★★★★ letting us know how it turns out for you. We hope you enjoy this coffee cake!
8 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories187
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 3.1g 15%
- Cholesterol 53mg 18%
- Sodium 207mg 9%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1.2g 4%
- Sugars 0.9g
- Protein 6.3g 12%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.