I love this easy homemade hummus recipe. It is so much better than store-bought! Also, it is super fresh, packed with flavor, and of course, lightened up. You get all of the delicious hummus flavors without all the fat and you can whip it up in minutes. It is perfect to dip with vegetables and is my favorite thing to add to any sandwich or wrap. It adds so much flavor and is a perfect alternative to high-fat condiments. You know we love options so we have given you our tried and true hummus recipe and then some ideas to change it up! You will never get bored of this wonderful snack.
Ingredients For This Homemade Hummus Recipe
- Garbanzo Beans. We used a can of garbanzo beans for this hummus recipe to make it super easy. When you blend garbanzo beans they become smooth and turn into hummus!
- Salt. We used a pinch of salt in this recipe to help brighten all of the flavors in this hummus.
- Lemon Juice. We used freshly squeezed lemon juice in this recipe. It brightens up the hummus and enhances the flavor.
- Garlic Cloves. We crushed two cloves of garlic for this recipe. What’s not to love about garlic? It makes this homemade hummus recipe super delicious!
- Tahini. Adding tahini to your hummus gives it great flavor and dimension!
- Water. For this recipe, a little bit of water is used to make the hummus smooth and creamy.
How To Make Homemade Hummus
To make this homemade hummus recipe, drain the garbanzo beans.
Then, add the drained garbanzo beans, salt, lemon juice, crushed garlic cloves, tahini, and water to a high-powered blender or food processor. After that, thoroughly blend until your hummus is smooth and enjoy!
How To Garnish Hummus
To garnish homemade hummus, we like sprinkling some fresh parsley, smoked paprika, or olive oil on top. This is optional but it adds even more amazing flavors to the hummus.
What Can I Mix With Homemade Hummus?
This homemade hummus recipe is delicious as is, but feel free to mix in other ingredients. For example, sometimes we add some 0 fat greek yogurt to our hummus. Also, flavored olive oils such as herb olive oil add so much flavor when mixed in or drizzled on top!
What To Eat With Hummus
Hummus is a delicious dip most often enjoyed with pita bread. However, pita chips and vegetables are other great options. We love eating this homemade hummus with carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, and jicama. There are so many easy and healthy foods to eat with hummus!
How Do You Use Hummus?
Hummus is not just a delicious and easy snack. It can be used in many different ways! We like adding some hummus to wraps and sandwiches. Also, you could make a Mediterranean pizza with hummus instead of marinara sauce. Just warm it up and sprinkle some fresh feta cheese on top!
Is Hummus Better With Or Without Tahini?
This homemade hummus recipe is definitely better with tahini. I personally love tahini because it compliments the lemon and garlic and adds another flavor dimension to the hummus. I find that hummus is bland without tahini.
How Long Does Homemade Hummus Last?
This easy homemade hummus recipe will last 3-5 days in the refrigerator. Just be sure to store it in an airtight container. It’s the perfect healthy snack to enjoy throughout the week!
Homemade Hummus Flavor Variations
This homemade hummus is classic and packed with flavor from garlic, lemon, and tahini. However, feel free to get creative and have fun with different flavor variations in your hummus. Some of our favorite ingredients to add to this recipe include roasted red bell peppers, olives, jalapeños, or a dash of sriracha. Any of these will work great and give you a new delicious flavor! As you make this homemade hummus again and again you can try switching up the flavor profiles by adding one of these!
More Recipes To Try Next!
- White Bean Hummus
- Roasted Tomatoes In The Oven
- Baked Brie Bites Recipe
- Crab Dip Recipe Hot Or Cold
- Healthy Bacon and Chive Dip
- Join us on our YouTube channel for recipe videos!
Helpful Tools & Ingredients For Easy Homemade Hummus
Please note that some of the links on this post are affiliate links and we will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. Thank you for supporting us!
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories125
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 0.3g 0%
- Cholesterol 0mg 0%
- Sodium 251mg 11%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 2.9g 8%
- Sugars 3.5g
- Protein 6.5g 12%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.