Nothing says fall more than a pumpkin spice latte! I love pumpkin spice lattes but not all of the sugar and fat. We put a spin on the classic Starbucks drink and made the ultimate homemade pumpkin spice latte recipe. This healthier version is great for your morning coffee, an afternoon snack, or even dessert.
Why You Will Love This Pumpkin Spice Latte
- We have lightened up the classic Starbucks fall drink!
- This homemade latte is easy to make.
- Pumpkin puree, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice add fall flavors!
- It is made with healthy ingredients.
What Is A Pumpkin Spice Latte?
A pumpkin spice latte is a fall drink that was introduced by the coffee company, Starbucks. It is a popular fall drink on their menu that is packed with pumpkin flavor and autumn spices. We have lightened it up by using healthy ingredients and way less sweetener. Also, you can make this homemade version high in protein, sugar-free, or dairy-free.
Pumpkin Spice Latte Ingredients
- Espresso: One to two shots of espresso work great in this recipe and don’t dilute the pumpkin flavor. If you use coffee, use four ounces so you can taste the pumpkin flavor.
- Milk: Use your milk of choice in this recipe. We used unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
- Pumpkin Puree: It adds pumpkin flavor.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: To add pumpkin spice flavor to the latte.
- Cinnamon: Adds flavor to the latte.
- Vanilla Extract: A splash of vanilla extract adds flavor to the latte.
- Sweetener: Use your sweetener of choice in this recipe.
- Salt: Just a pinch in this recipe.
Use Espresso Or Coffee
I really like using expresso for this recipe as it does not dilute the pumpkin spice mixture. Coffee will also work just use 4 ounces of it so you get that delicious pumpkin spice flavor. Also, cold brew will work and is an excellent choice if making this latte on ice.
How To Make A Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte
First, brew the espresso or coffee. Then, add the unsweetened almond milk, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, sweetener of choice, and a pinch of salt to a saucepan.
Next, whisk all of the ingredients together. After that, heat the ingredients in the saucepan on the stove.
Once heated, pour the ingredients in the saucepan over your espresso or coffee in a heat-resistant mug and enjoy!
Tips For Making Pumpkin Spice Lattes
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice: Use pumpkin pie spice in this recipe. If you don’t have any, you can make your own! To make your own, combine 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg, 1/8 teaspoon of ginger, and a pinch of cloves.
- Whisk The Ingredients: Thoroughly whisk the ingredients in the saucepan while you heat the latte in the saucepan.
- Use A Heat-Resistant Mug: Once heated, your latte will be hot, so make sure to pour it into a heat-resistant mug.
- Make More Lattes: This is a single-serve recipe. If you want another latte, just double the recipe.
Pumpkin Spice Latte Toppings
We love to top this homemade pumpkin spice latte with whipped cream. It makes it the perfect decadent treat. Feel free to use your favorite whipped cream in this recipe or omit it altogether. We love dairy-free coconut whipped cream.
Pumpkin Spice Latte Variations
- Make A Cold Latte: If you want to make your latte cold, whisk your ingredients together. In this case, there is no need to heat the whisked ingredients. Then, you can pour the ingredients over ice. Or, take your almond milk or milk of choice, freeze it in ice cube trays, and use it as the ice for your latte!
- High Protein Latte: You can make this latte high in protein! Just omit the sweetener and add a scoop of vanilla protein powder. We love to use Orgain vanilla protein powder. You can get 30% off Orgain products with our code HEALTHYFOODIEGIRL.
- Sugar-Free Latte: This pumpkin spice latte can be made with no sugar added while the Starbucks version has 50 grams of sugar! To make this recipe sugar-free, use a sugar-free sweetener.
- Make It Dairy-Free: You can make this recipe dairy-free! We used unsweetened vanilla almond milk in this recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Pumpkin Spice Lattes Vegan?
You can make this homemade pumpkin spice latte vegan! Just use your dairy-free milk of choice, such as unsweetened vanilla almond milk or oat milk.
Is A Pumpkin Spice Latte Hot Or Cold?
You can make this pumpkin latte hot or cold! To make it hot, warm up the latte in a saucepan over the stove. To make it cold, whisk the ingredients together and then pour the latte over ice.
Is A Pumpkin Spice Latte Sweet?
The classic Starbucks pumpkin spice latte is very sweet and has 50 grams of sugar! Our homemade latte is much lower in sugar, and you can even make it sugar-free by using a sugar replacement.
Do Pumpkin Spice Lattes Have Coffee?
Yes, they have caffeine. You can make this recipe with espresso or coffee. Or, you can substitute the caffeine for decaf.
Are Pumpkin Lattes Gluten-Free?
Yes, this recipe is naturally gluten-free!
Are Pumpkin Spice Lattes Healthy?
The pumpkin spice lattes from Starbucks are not very healthy and are packed with sugar. This homemade version is healthy, made with simple ingredients, and is lower in sugar! Also, this latte is made with pumpkin puree and does not have any artificial additives.
More Recipes To Try Next!
- Mocha Frappuccino Starbucks Copycat
- Chai Latte
- Healthy Hot Chocolate
- The Best Healthy Pumpkin Pie
- Healthy Pumpkin Spice Muffin
- Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
- Check out our Starbucks Copycat Lightened Up Holiday Drinks E-book!
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories61
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 0.1g 0%
- Cholesterol 0mg 0%
- Sodium 346mg 15%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 2.8g 8%
- Sugars 2.6g
- Protein 1.7g 2%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.