This pumpkin pasta sauce screams autumn in a bowl! This creamy pumpkin pasta combines the rich and earthy flavor of pumpkin and the creaminess of cottage cheese with a hint of parmesan cheese to add some tang and nuttiness to the dish. A gentle sprinkling of nutmeg adds a touch of warmth to the pasta sauce. This healthy pumpkin pasta sauce is the essence of the season!
Why You Will Love Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
- This pumpkin sauce is healthy and lightened up.
- The sauce is super creamy and flavorful.
- It is easy to make and comes together quickly.
- The spices and flavors are balanced.
- It has the warm, cozy flavors of pumpkin and the fall season.
- Add it to your favorite pasta or pasta alternative!
What Is Pumpkin Pasta Sauce?
Pumpkin pasta sauce is a homemade creamy sauce that is packed with pumpkin flavor. This sauce is lightened up and made with healthy ingredients. We used fat-free cottage cheese to add creaminess without as much fat as heavy cream or half and half. Also, we used pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling. This sauce also contains parmesan cheese, garlic, and sauteed diced onion. It is lightly spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg. It has so many delicious fall flavors!
Pumpkin Pasta Sauce Ingredients
- Pumpkin Puree: Use one can of pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling.
- Cottage Cheese: Fat-free cottage cheese makes this sauce super creamy.
- Parmesan Cheese: Pre-grated or freshly grated parmesan cheese will work.
- Nutmeg: A pinch of nutmeg adds a dimension of flavor.
- Cinnamon: Ground cinnamon complements the flavors of the sauce.
- Basil: Adds flavors to the sauce.
- Salt and Pepper: Season with salt and pepper to enhance the flavors.
- Butter: Saute the onion and garlic in light butter.
- Onion: Dice a white onion or sweet onion.
- Garlic: Crush two cloves of garlic and saute them.
How To Make Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
Cook your pasta or pasta alternative while you make the pumpkin sauce.
Then, add the pumpkin puree, fat-free cottage cheese, grated parmesan cheese, nutmeg, cinnamon, basil, salt, and pepper to a blender and blend until smooth.
After that, add the light butter to a pan over medium heat on the stove. Then, saute the diced onion in the butter. From there, add the crushed garlic to the pan and saute it.
Next, add the blended mixture to the pan and thoroughly mix. Heat the sauce in the pan over low heat.
Then, add the rinsed and drained cooked pasta or pasta alternative to the pan with the sauce.
After that, mix and enjoy!
How To Serve
Serve this pumpkin sauce with your favorite pasta or pasta alternative warm in a bowl. Optional: Top it with fresh chopped basil and freshly grated parmesan. Also, this dish would be delicious served with our shaved brussels sprout salad, oven-roasted sweet potatoes, carrot apple salad, and Caesar salad.
Tips For Making Creamy Pumpkin Pasta
- Use Pumpkin Puree: Make sure to use pumpkin puree in this recipe, not pumpkin pie filling! Pumpkin pie filling often has extra ingredients and can’t be substituted.
- Blend Until Smooth: Add the sauce ingredients to a blender. Then, blend until smooth and creamy. You don’t want any lumps in the sauce.
- Make The Pasta At The Same Time: We recommend letting your pasta boil and cook while you make the sauce. Then, when the sauce is done, you can add the rinsed and drained pasta, mix, and enjoy.
How To Use Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
Add this pumpkin sauce to your favorite pasta or pasta alternative. You can add this creamy sauce to your favorite cooked pasta. We love enjoying this pasta sauce with Carba Nada and Fiber Gourmet pasta. To get 15% off Fiber Gourmet pasta, use code healthyfoodiegirl. Also, zucchini noodles, butternut squash noodles, hearts of palm pasta, Palmini Low Carb Pasta, and lentils are other great options. We even love dipping some toasted crusty bread in this sauce or serving it over roasted vegetables for added flavor!
Storage And Reheating
How To Store: If you have any leftover pasta sauce let it cool and then transfer it to an airtight container. Then, store the airtight container in the refrigerator and enjoy this sauce within 3 days. We don’t recommend freezing this sauce.
How To Reheat: Before enjoying this sauce again, re-heat it in a microwave-safe container in the microwave. Or, add it to a saucepan on the stove and heat it up with the cooked pasta or pasta alternative you are serving it with.
Pumpkin Pasta Sauce Variations
- What Cottage Cheese: You can use fat-free, low-fat, or full-fat cottage cheese. We used fat-free cottage cheese and this sauce was super delicious and creamy.
- What Onion To Use: You can use a white onion or sweet onion for this recipe. Finely dice the onion and saute it in the pan.
- Make More Sauce: If you need more pasta sauce, you can double this recipe to serve more. Just make sure to store any leftovers in the refrigerator and enjoy within 3 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Pumpkin Pasta Sauce Healthy?
This homemade pumpkin pasta sauce recipe is healthy! We used healthy ingredients such as pumpkin puree, cottage cheese, onion, garlic, and spices. There is only a small amount of light butter used to saute the onions and garlic. Also, there is no cream, half-and-half, or cream cheese in this sauce. It is made with simple ingredients and is much healthier than many store-bought options.
Is Pumpkin Sauce Gluten-Free?
This pumpkin sauce itself is naturally gluten-free. To ensure the entire dish will be gluten-free, use gluten-free pasta or a pasta alternative.
How Long Does Homemade Pumpkin Pasta Sauce Last?
This homemade creamy pumpkin pasta sauce will last up to 3 days when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
More Recipes To Try Next!
- Cottage Cheese Alfredo Sauce
- Homemade Marinara Sauce
- Healthy Peanut Dipping Sauce
- Easy Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- The Best Healthy Pumpkin Pie
If you try this recipe please be sure to leave us a comment and star rating ★★★★★ letting us know how it turns out for you. We hope you enjoy this pumpkin pasta sauce!
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories146
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 2.1g 10%
- Cholesterol 10mg 4%
- Sodium 1068mg 45%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 2.9g 8%
- Sugars 7.7g
- Protein 14g 29%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.