This watermelon feta salad is the ultimate refreshing summer salad! It is made with ripe sweet juicy watermelon, savory salty feta, and fresh fragrant mint leaves. Then, it is drizzled with balsamic glaze. This watermelon salad is the perfect combination of sweet and savory while the fresh mint adds a refreshing note to every bite.
Why You Will Love Watermelon Feta Salad
- This salad is bursting with flavor.
- It is perfect for barbecues, picnics, and gatherings.
- Watermelon feta salad is easy to make.
- It provides a wonderful combination of sweet and savory flavors.
- It is light and refreshing.
- It’s such a delicious way to enjoy watermelon.
What Is Watermelon Feta Salad?
Watermelon feta salad is made with bite-sized cubes of watermelon. Also, crumbled feta cheese and thinly sliced fresh mint are added. Then, this salad is drizzled with balsamic glaze before serving. It is such a refreshing and delicious summer salad!
Watermelon Feta Salad Ingredients
- Watermelon: Use one seedless ripe watermelon. Cut the watermelon into small cubes.
- Feta: Crumbled feta cheese adds a tangy and salty note.
- Mint: Finely chop the fresh mint leaves.
- Balsamic Glaze: Drizzle some balsamic glaze on top of the salad.
How To Pick A Ripe Watermelon
Picking a sweet and ripe watermelon requires some observation. It is important to keep in mind certain indicators when picking a watermelon. While there is no guarantee that a watermelon will be sweet, here are some tips on how to pick one:
- Field Spot: Look for the yellowish field spot on a watermelon. A well-developed field spot indicates that the watermelon had time to ripen.
- Consistent Shape: It is best to pick a watermelon that is uniform in shape.
- Skin: It is best to pick a watermelon that is smooth on the surface. Avoid watermelons with dents or cuts.
- Sound: Tap the watermelon with your hand. If the sound is deep, the watermelon is most likely ripe.
- Heavy: It is best to pick up the watermelon. For best results, you want a watermelon that is heavy for its size.
- Color: Look at the color of the watermelon. It is best when the skin of a watermelon is consistent in color.
Watermelon Salad With Balsamic
We love drizzling some balsamic glaze over this watermelon feta salad. It complements the sweetness of the watermelon. Balsamic glaze is a syrupy sauce made from balsamic vinegar. It is also referred to as balsamic reduction. It is created when balsamic vinegar simmers and thickens. This creates a sweet and tangy glaze. Due to the intense flavor of balsamic glaze, a little goes a long way. It is truly an excellent way to elevate the taste of this watermelon salad. All you need is a drizzle.
How To Make Watermelon Feta Salad
First, cut a ripe, seedless watermelon into bite-sized cubes. Then, add the cubes of watermelon to an airtight container with a lid. After that, place the container of watermelon in the refrigerator for a few hours.
Next, drain the excess liquid from the watermelon.
Once drained, add the watermelon to a bowl. Then, add the crumbled feta cheese and thinly sliced fresh mint leaves to the bowl.
After that, lightly mix the salad, drizzle the balsamic glaze on top, and enjoy!
What To Serve With Watermelon Feta Salad
Watermelon feta salad is a light and refreshing dish. It pairs well with various main courses. Try it with our healthy chicken burgers, tater tot casserole, shrimp stack, and slow cooker salsa verde chicken.
Tips For Making Watermelon Salad
Wash The Watermelon
First, wash the watermelon with fruit and veggie wash before cutting it. You want to make sure the watermelon is clean from dirt and bacteria.
Cut The Watermelon Into Cubes
Make sure to cut the watermelon into small bite-sized cubes. Also, make sure the cubes are consistent in size.
How To Keep Watermelon Salad From Getting Soggy
To keep the watermelon salad from getting soggy, first cut the watermelon into small cubes. Then, place the watermelon cubes in an airtight container. Next, place the container in the refrigerator for a few hours before making the salad. After that, place the watermelon cubes in a strainer to drain. Then, combine the ingredients to make this salad.
Watermelon Feta Salad Variations
- Watermelon: If your watermelon is not seedless, remove the seeds.
- What Feta To Use: You can use fat-free, light, or regular feta in this recipe.
- Add More Ingredients: The flavors in this watermelon salad are balanced. If you want to add more ingredients, some thinly sliced red onion and chopped cucumber would pair nicely.
- Mint Substitute: If you don’t want to use fresh mint in this recipe, substitute it for fresh sliced basil.
- Add Strawberries: This watermelon salad would be delicious with fresh sweet strawberries.
- Add Arugula: You could add arugula to this watermelon salad.
- Drizzle Honey: For another sweet note that complements the watermelon, drizzle some honey on this salad.
- Squeeze Lime: For an acidic note, squeeze some lime juice over this watermelon salad.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Does Watermelon Feta Salad Last?
We recommend eating this watermelon feta salad after making it. If you have any leftover watermelon salad, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
Is Watermelon Feta Salad Healthy?
Watermelon feta salad is healthy! It is made with a few fresh and simple ingredients. All you need is watermelon, feta, mint, and balsamic glaze. Watermelon has many vitamins and minerals. Also, it has natural sugars and is low in calories.
Why Add Feta To Watermelon Salad?
Feta is an excellent addition to this watermelon salad. It has a savory flavor profile with tangy and salty notes. Also, it beautifully complements the sweetness of the watermelon.
Why Add Mint?
Mint brings a herbal note and refreshing burst of flavor to this watermelon feta salad. Additionally, it balances the acidity and sweetness of the watermelon and balsamic glaze.
What If I Don’t Have Balsamic Glaze?
You can make your own balsamic glaze if you don’t have any. You can create a balsamic vinegar reduction. To create a balsamic glaze substitute, simmer balsamic vinegar on low heat until it thickens and reduces by about half. Then, let it fully cool and drizzle it over this salad.
More Recipes To Try Next!
- Watermelon Pizza With Balsamic and Feta
- Easy Watermelon Granita Recipe
- Strawberry Goat Cheese Salad
- Caprese Salad With Balsamic Vinegar
- Balsamic Brussels Sprouts Recipe
If you try this recipe please be sure to leave us a comment and star rating ★★★★★ letting us know how it turns out for you. We hope you enjoy this watermelon feta salad!
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories108
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 1.8g 5%
- Cholesterol 7mg 3%
- Sodium 138mg 6%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1.9g 4%
- Sugars 14.3g
- Protein 5g 10%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.