Fruit ice cubes are a beautiful and exciting way to jazz up ice cubes and any beverage! Staying hydrated is super important but plain water can easily become boring. We love making these fruit ice cubes to add a fun and flavorful twist!
These fruit cubes are super customizable and up-level so many different drinks. Also, you can use your favorite fruit to make fruit ice cubes. We share many of our favorite fruit combinations and tips on how to make the best fruit-infused ice cubes!
Why You Will Love Fruit Ice Cubes
- Fruit ice cubes look beautiful and up-level water!
- This is such a great way to use fresh or frozen fruit.
- It is fun to make a whole bunch of ice cubes with different fruits.
- They are easy to make and there are so many variations!
- You can get creative and try different fruit combinations.
- Fruit-infused ice cubes add visual appeal to drinks.
What Are Fruit Ice Cubes?
Fruit ice cubes are ice cubes with pieces of fruit in them. You can use your favorite fruit of choice. Also, you can use chopped fresh fruit or frozen fruit. Fruit ice cubes are an excellent addition to water, sparkling water, lemonade, cocktails, mocktails, and more.
Why You Should Make Fruit Ice Cubes
There are so many great reasons you should make fruit ice cubes.
- Enhance Flavor: Fruit ice cubes can enhance the flavor of your beverage. For example, fruit cubes add a refreshing and natural flavor to a plain glass of otherwise boring water. They can add a burst of natural fruity flavor to any drink. Also, instead of watering down a drink, they add wonderful flavor.
- Options: There are so many different variations and options to choose from when making fruit cubes. You can use any fruit you choose.
- Beautiful: Fruit ice cubes add a vibrant and beautiful visual appeal to drinks. They especially up-level a glass of water or sparkling water with their eye-catching pops of color.
- Chill Drinks: Fruit-infused ice cubes are not just visually appealing, but functional, as well! These ice cubes are the perfect addition to any drink that you would like to be chilled.
- Adjustable: You can easily adjust the amount of fruit you infuse in each ice cube. Add more fruit for a more noticeable flavor or less for a beautiful pop of color.
- Easy To Store: Once frozen, you can easily store these fruit cubes in the freezer in freezer-safe bags so they are ready to go whenever you need them!
Ingredients For Fruit Cubes
You only need two simple ingredients to make fruit ice cubes!
- Fruit: Feel free to use your fruit of choice. Some great options are lemon, orange, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and pineapple.
- Water: Use filtered water for ice cubes. Also, for a higher chance of your ice cubes being clear once frozen, boil the water and let it cool. After that, boil the water again and let it cool. Then, fill the ice cube trays with the water.
What Fruit To Use For Fruit Cubes
Get creative with the fruit you use for these ice cubes! There are so many different fun and delicious fruits to choose from! Stick with one fruit or combine multiple for a burst of flavor in your ice cubes. Here are some of our favorite fruits to use!
What Liquid To Use
Get creative and fill these fruit ice cubes with different liquids. The most obvious choice would be filtered water. To ensure the water is clear once frozen, we recommend double boiling it and letting it cool. Some other liquids you could use are juice or coconut water! We love coconut water because it is very hydrating and has many vitamins and minerals. Also, while you could fill the ice cube trays with sparkling water, the water will likely go flat when frozen.
How To Make Fruit Ice Cubes
First, wash and dry the fruit you will be using and cut it into small pieces if it is too large to fit in the ice cube tray.
Next, add the fruit to the ice cube tray compartments.
After that, fill the ice cube tray with filtered water.
Then, place the ice cube tray in the freezer overnight.
Once the fruit ice cubes are completely frozen, add them to water or your beverage of choice and enjoy!
How To Make Clear Ice Cubes
If you want the ice cubes to be clear once frozen and not cloudy, we recommend double boiling the water. To do this, boil the filtered water you will be using and let it cool. Then, boil it again and let it completely cool. Once cooled, fill your ice cube tray with the water. While this does not guarantee that the water will be clear, it helps increase the chances that it will be.
Tips For Making Fruit Ice Cubes
Use Small Pieces Of Fruit
It is best to use small pieces of fruit in these fruit ice cubes because the fruit needs to fit in the ice cube tray. We recommend chopping the fruit you use if it is not small enough to fit in the ice cube tray. Also, make sure to leave room for water in the ice cube tray.
Use Fresh Or Frozen Fruit
You can use fresh or frozen fruit to make fruit ice cubes! This makes it super easy to make fruit-infused ice cubes with whichever fruit you have on hand. Frozen fruit is a great way to make fruit cubes all year round.
Wash The Fruit
Make sure to wash and dry the fresh fruit you are using. This helps remove any residue or dirt that may be on the fruit.
For best results, boil the filtered water you are using and let it completely cool. Then, boil it again and let it cool completely before filling up the ice cube tray. This helps prevent the water from getting cloudy once frozen. We recommend doing this because it provides the best chance for clear fruit ice cubes where you can see the beautiful fruit.
Ways To Use Fruit Ice Cubes
There are many ways you can use fruit ice cubes! Here are some beverages to add them to:
- Sparkling water
- Coconut water
- Iced Tea
How To Store Ice Cubes
Make sure the ice cubes are completely frozen before removing them from the ice cube trays. Once frozen, you can remove them from the ice cube tray and place them in reusable stasher bags or freezer-safe containers. Just make sure to store the ice cubes in the freezer so they stay frozen. Also, this frees up your ice cube trays so you can use them again. In addition, storing them in bags is super convenient for later use.
Fruit-Infused Ice Cube Variations
- Use A Combination Of Fruit: You can use all one fruit to make ice cubes or you can use a combination of different fruit.
- Add Herbs: Fruit ice cubes are delicious as is or with herbs!
- Use Frozen Fruit: If you don’t have fresh fruit available or don’t want to use fresh fruit, you can make fruit ice cubes with frozen fruit.
- Flowers: This is completely optional, but if you want, feel free to add some small food-grade edible flowers to your ice cubes.
- Fill With Coconut Water: Instead of filling these ice cubes with water, try filling them with coconut water. We love using coconut water because it aids in natural hydration. Also, coconut water has electrolytes, vitamins, and minerals!
- Ice Cube Tray: You can use any ice cube tray you prefer or have on hand for these ice cubes. Just adjust the amount of fruit and water you will need based on the size of the ice cubes.
- Make More: Make as many fruit ice cubes as you would like. You can fill many ice cube trays with fruit and water and let them freeze. Once frozen, you can add the ice cubes to reusable stasher bags or freezer-safe bags so you can use your ice cube trays again for something else or to make more fruit cubes.
- Fill With Fruit Juice: If you don’t want to fill these ice cubes with water, you can fill them with your favorite juice. A delicious option would be fresh pieces of chopped pineapple that are filled with pineapple juice instead of water. Additionally, we love adding lemon to our water. A great way to do this is to fill an ice cube tray with freshly-squeezed lemon juice. Then, let the lemon ice cubes freeze, and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long To Let Fruit Ice Cubes Freeze?
It is best to let ice cubes freeze overnight to ensure they are completely frozen and solid. Some ice cubes may freeze in 4-6 hours, but this depends on your freezer and the size of the ice cubes.
What Ice Cube Tray To Use?
You can use your ice cube tray of choice to make fruit-infused ice cubes. We used a regular-sized ice cube tray. However, feel free to get creative and make fruit ice cubes with a larger ice cube tray mold or different ice shapes.
Can I Use Frozen Fruit?
Yes, you can make fruit ice cubes with frozen fruit! It is a great cost-effective way to make fruit cubes. Also, this makes it easy to make fruit-infused ice cubes year-round! Simply add the frozen fruit to an ice cube tray and fill it with water if the fruit fits. If the frozen fruit does not fit, cut it into smaller pieces before adding it to the ice cube tray.
More Recipes To Try Next!
- Beautiful and Easy Fruit Infused Water
- Homemade Sugar-Free Fruit Popsicles
- Frozen Cottage Cheese Bark
- Berry Parfait With Greek Yogurt
- Easy Watermelon Strawberry Granita
If you try this recipe please be sure to leave us a comment and star rating ★★★★★ letting us know how it turns out for you. We hope you enjoy these fruit ice cubes!
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories4
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 0g 0%
- Cholesterol 0mg 0%
- Sodium 7mg 1%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 0.2g 0%
- Sugars 0.6g
- Protein 0.1g 0%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.