Get ready to elevate your chicken game with this incredible slow cooker shredded chicken! This method delivers juicy, tender, and downright delicious results every time. This shredded chicken is great for meal prep and incredibly versatile. Add it to salads, tacos, burrito bowls, you name it!
This recipe is worthy of being a regular part of your weekly meals! This easy method involves seasoning the chicken, adding chicken broth, and letting the slow cooker take care of the rest. Say goodbye to store-bought rotisserie chicken because this slow-cooked chicken is here to steal the spotlight. Also, we share many ideas on how to use it along with how to store and freeze it!
Why You Will Love This Shredded Chicken
- It is super easy to make. The slow cooker does all the cooking.
- The chicken broth helps make this shredded chicken juicy and flavorful.
- This chicken is easy to shred.
- Just season the chicken and add it to the Crockpot with the chicken broth. Then, let the slow cooker cook it for you.
- This slow cooker shredded chicken is perfect for meal prep and can be used in many dishes!
- Have cooked shredded chicken ready to go in the refrigerator or freeze it for later.
Ingredients Needed For Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
- Chicken: Use two boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Chicken Broth: Add low-sodium chicken broth to the slow cooker. It allows the chicken to cook in the slow cooker and makes it juicy.
- Onion Powder: Season the chicken with onion powder.
- Garlic Powder: Season with garlic powder for flavor.
- Salt and Pepper: To season the chicken.
How To Make Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
Step 1: Season both sides of the chicken breasts with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
Step 2: Add the seasoned chicken to the slow cooker. Then, add the chicken broth.
Step 3: Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low until the chicken is fully cooked.
Step 4: Once fully cooked, shred the chicken.
How Long To Cook Chicken In The Slow Cooker
Cook boneless skinless chicken breasts on low in the slow cooker for 2.5-3 hours or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Slow Cook On Low: It is best to cook the chicken on low rather than high. Cooking it on low helps keep it juicy and prevents it from drying out.
- Use Low-Sodium Chicken Broth: We recommend using low-sodium chicken broth because you already season the chicken with salt for this recipe.
- Fully Cook But Don’t Overcook: Ensure the chicken is fully cooked before shredding and using it. However, be mindful not to overcook the chicken, or it will dry out.
- Season The Chicken: Use onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to season.
- Make More: You can always make more shredded chicken. Just double this recipe.
How To Shred Chicken
Stand Mixer: You can add the cooked chicken breasts to the bowl of your stand mixer and turn it on low to shred the chicken.
Use Two Forks: Carefully transfer the fully cooked chicken breasts to a cutting board. Then, use two forks to shred the chicken.
Ways To Use Shredded Chicken
This slow cooker shredded chicken is incredibly versatile! Use it in so many different dishes. We love having it ready to go in the refrigerator to use throughout the week. Here are some ways you can use cooked shredded chicken.
- Tacos: This shredded chicken is great for tacos! Make tacos with it, and add your favorite toppings. We love to use it for our easy sheet pan tacos recipe!
- Burritos: Add some shredded chicken to burritos for added protein.
- Quesadillas: Make chicken quesadillas with shredded chicken!
- Salads: Add some to salads! Use it in our buffalo chicken salad, cranberry pecan chicken salad, Waldorf chicken salad, and chicken grape salad.
- Add It To Bowls: Add it to grain bowls, harvest bowls, rice bowls, or a buffalo chicken rice bowl.
- Add Sauce: Flavor the cooked shredded chicken with barbecue sauce, enchilada sauce, or salsa.
- Wraps: Make a chicken wrap. We love using a lavash wrap and adding shredded chicken, shredded cheese, lettuce, avocado, tomatoes, and dressing.
- Sandwiches: Make a sandwich and add some shredded chicken.
- Nachos: Use some of this shredded chicken to nachos with your favorite cheese and tortilla chips.
- Soup: Cooked shredded chicken is an excellent addition to soup, such as chicken noodle soup.
- Add Gravy: Pour some store-bought gravy or our chicken gravy over the cooked shredded chicken, warm it up, and enjoy! Or, try our slow cooker chicken and gravy recipe.
- Pizza Topping: Use it as a pizza topping. We love making pizza with shredded chicken, barbecue sauce, and sliced red onion.
How To Store Shredded Chicken
Store cooked shredded chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Or, let it completely cool and transfer it to freezer-safe containers. Then, freeze it for 1-2 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Add Chicken Broth?
We love cooking chicken breasts in chicken broth in the slow cooker because it helps keep them juicy, adds flavor, and helps prevent them from drying out. We recommend using chicken broth because water does not add any flavor to the chicken and makes it bland.
Can I Freeze Shredded Chicken?
Yes! You can freeze cooked shredded chicken, but let it cool completely. Once cooled, transfer it to an airtight freezer-safe bag or container and freeze it for up to two months.
How Long Does Shredded Chicken Last?
Once cooked, this shredded chicken will last 3-4 days when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It is convenient to have on hand for meal prep and can be used in so many dishes throughout the week.
More Slow Cooker Recipes To Try Next!
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken
- Slow Cooker Santa Fe Chicken
- Enchilada Bowl In Slow Cooker
- Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan
- Green Chili Slow Cooker Chicken
- Slow Cooker Spaghetti Squash
If you try this recipe please be sure to leave us a comment and star rating ★★★★★ letting us know how it turns out for you.
5 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories190
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 0g 0%
- Cholesterol 98mg 33%
- Sodium 438mg 19%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 0.1g 0%
- Sugars 0.2g
- Protein 40.1g 80%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.