Pizza toast is a quick and effortless meal to prepare. It combines the irresistible flavors of pizza with the simplicity of toasted bread. Lightly toast the bread so it doesn’t get soggy. Then, spread a layer of your favorite tomato sauce, cheese, and toppings. We made Margherita pizza toast with fresh tomatoes and basil. The possibilities for customization are endless! Once assembled, the pizza toast is quickly baked to perfection, resulting in a satisfying fusion of crispy bread, your favorite toppings, and gooey melted cheese. It is the perfect light meal or snack that captures the essence of pizza.
Why You Will Love Pizza Toast
- Easy & Quick: It is incredibly easy to make. There is no need to make pizza dough. Pizza toast comes together easily and can be made quickly. There is only about 5 minutes of prep time, and it cooks quickly.
- Simple: You only need a few ingredients to make this recipe.
- Delicious: It is flavorful and delicious. It has the crave-worthy flavors of pizza while being even easier to make.
- Customizable: It is very customizable. Use your favorite bread, sauce, cheese, and toppings.
- Great Snack: It is a great snack. Or, make it a meal for lunch or dinner by making more of it or pairing it with other dishes.
What Is Pizza Toast?
Pizza toast is a delicious twist on pizza, using bread instead of pizza dough. The bread is used in place of the crust for a delicious toast with traditional pizza flavors. We added marinara sauce, cheese, roasted garlic, and fresh basil to our pizza toast. It is baked in the oven for crispiness and to melt the cheese. You can get creative and customize it in any way you would typically customize pizza.
- Bread: Use a slice of your favorite bread. We love the flavor of sourdough bread. For a low-carb option, use low-carb bread, a large low-carb tortilla, or a lavash flatbread instead.
- Sauce: Use your favorite marinara or pizza sauce.
- Cheese: We used light shredded mozzarella cheese. Use your favorite cheese.
- Garlic: We added some roasted garlic for flavor.
- Tomato: Slice a tomato to add on top for flavor.
- Basil: We love to chop some fresh basil to sprinkle on top for flavor.
- Red Pepper Flakes: For a kick of heat, sprinkle some crushed red pepper flakes on top.
Make It Low-Carb
You can make this recipe low-carb by using a low-carb bread or flatbread as the base. Some options are low-carb bread or flatbread, Joseph’s lavash bread flatbreads, Joseph’s pita bread, or an Ole tortilla.
How To Make Pizza Toast
Step 1: Place the piece of bread on a sheet pan and lightly toast it in the oven.
Step 2: Next, add the marinara sauce and optional roasted garlic. Then, add the cheese, sliced tomato, or your favorite toppings to the piece of toasted bread.
Step 3: Bake the pizza toast in the oven. Once done, top with fresh chopped basil and optional crushed red pepper flakes. Then, let it slightly cool and enjoy!
How Long To Cook Pizza Toast
Lightly toast the bread for a few minutes in the oven. Then, once assembled, cook pizza toast in the oven at 400°F for 7-10 minutes. When it cooks it gets crispy, and the cheese melts. Serve warm it after cooking it.
Pizza Toast Topping Ideas
Add your favorite toppings to your pizza toast! It is incredibly customizable. Here are some topping ideas:
- Chopped fully cooked chicken
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Red pepper flakes
- Chopped cooked sausage
What To Serve With Pizza Toast
To make pizza toast a well-rounded snack or meal, consider serving it alongside a salad or vegetables. It would be delicious with a side of our air fryer carrots, roasted brussels sprouts, or roasted broccoli. Or, serve it alongside a salad such as Caesar salad or carrot apple salad.
- Toast The Bread: We recommend lightly toasting the bread before adding the toppings. It helps prevent the bread from getting soggy once you add the sauce. We toasted the bread on a sheet pan in the oven. You could also toast it in the toaster instead.
- The Best Way To Add The Sauce: When adding the sauce to the bread, don’t spread it to the edge of the bread. Instead, leave some room around the edges so they don’t get soggy, and you have a crispier crust.
- Don’t Burn The Toast: You want the cheese to melt and the bread to get crispy, but make sure your pizza toast doesn’t burn.
Substitutions and Variations
- Sauce Substitutions: Use pizza sauce, marinara sauce, our homemade marinara sauce, or our slow cooker tomato sauce. Or, even use barbecue sauce or pesto instead for a different flavor profile.
- Cheese Options: Use light shredded mozzarella, fresh mozzarella, crumbled goat cheese, burrata, or your favorite pizza cheese.
- Gluten-Free Option: Use your favorite gluten-free bread to make this recipe gluten-free.
- Make More: Pizza toast is such a delicious snack. This recipe makes one large piece. To make more, add more bread to the sheet pan.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Make Pizza Toast Ahead Of Time?
Don’t make pizza toast ahead of time because the bread will get soggy. Make it when you are going to serve it. It requires very little prep time and comes together quickly. If you want to prepare part of it ahead of time, you can slice the tomato, chop the basil, and have the ingredients ready to go in the refrigerator.
What Bread To Use For Pizza Toast?
Sourdough bread is delicious for this recipe. Some other bread options are a slice of country loaf, sliced baguette, or sliced ciabatta. Or, opt for a low-carb option and use a low-carb bread, flatbread, or tortilla.
More Recipes To Try Next!
- Cottage Cheese Toast
- Air Fryer Cherry Tomatoes
- Watermelon Pizza
- Smash Burger Tacos
- Caprese Salad Recipe
If you try this recipe please be sure to leave us a comment and star rating ★★★★★ letting us know how it turns out for you.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories205
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 1.7g 5%
- Cholesterol 17mg 6%
- Sodium 815mg 34%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 7.5g 29%
- Sugars 0.7g
- Protein 20.5g 40%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.